MG15CD review by Marshall

Marshall: MG15CD

Purchased from: back2music, Galway

I use it with an Aria STG-004. I do have a problem with pickups on some settings (i.e. high gain), especially the bridge pickup, I get interference and buzzing. This is only noticeable when I'm not actually playing, but it is noticable nonetheless. I think it's more of a problem with the guitar, though. It also has a lot to do with being very close to a computer screen. As I outlined in the above paragraph, the distorsion is extremely powerful and the clean channel has great potential too. The three EQ settings (bass, contour, treble) can be adjusted to give a great variety of sounds.

For me, this is a great amp because it was cheap, it's not too big (about 14x14x8"), it's versatile and it packs a punch. I definately plan on getting an effects unit soon, though. If it was stolen, I would probably save up my money and buy a 100 watt amp, because I'm going to have to do that eventually anyways. As I said, I wish it had a footswitch for the channel selection. Apart form that, I cant think of any glaring fault with it. I like this amp alot.

Overall, I get the impression that this is a very reliable amp. I've only had it for about 8 months, so I can't give a definitive judgement yet. I wouldn't gig with it because although it's loud, I think the interference from my guitar at that volume could be quite intrusive. As I've said before, though, that could be more of a guitar problem. If I was gigging with it, I would be confident in using it without a backup. It's never given me any trouble in the eight months I've had it, although I haven't been abusing it much! I'll wait and see, but I get the definite impression that this is a sturdy amp.

This is a 15-watt solid-state practise amp. It has two channels (each with a separate volume control), a gain setting, and three equalisation controls. As well as the input jack, it has a CD in jack and a Headphones jack. I use it for playing guitar in my bedroom, or when I'm playing with friends. I use mainly the overdrive channel, and it certainly is loud enough. I never push the volume knob past 1! This is slightly annoying in that it's highly sensitive and difficult to choose an optimum setting. I have the gain setting at 8. The clean channel is more manageable, and the volume is less sensitive. I play it on about 2-3 when I'm at home. There's no built-in effects, also there's no footswitch so changeing channels has to be done by hand. I'd reccomend buying a distortion/effects pedal. I find it quite versatile for the style of music I play, which takes in a lot of sounds from high-disorsion metal to clean, jangly chords.