MG15CDR review by Marshall

Marshall: MG15CDR

Iuse an Epiphone studio ii with the original pickups, and it does a good job of keeping the tone, but it culd be better. With the gain up it sounds pretty terrible, to much fuzz. So if you want to play metal or rock, definetly think about a pedal as well. It doesn't have the richest tone, but for a cheap 15 amp, the sounds is better than expected. The clean channel is distorted at really high volumes and if you have got the equalization right, it can sound pretty lousy, but once you work them out, its easy to work with. The reverb on it works really well, and definetlyputs and interesting spin on most styles, especially with a bit of acdc on distortion.

I was surprised at how much power it had for a small amp, it makes everything in my room vibrate only on half volume, its pretty bassy too. If it was lost or stolen, I probably wouldnt buy it cause I'd want something bigger, but with out the money, it certainly would be a hard choice, the gain let me down, I wasnt impressed with its huge amount of fuzz, but with the pedal it goes ok. For that amount of money it's a pretty reliable buy, a good practice amp.

I haven't had it for a really long time, but I've never had it break done on my once, being a Marshall you expect that reliabilityof the brand, and this one certainly lives up to its reputation.

I purchased it about half a year ago and it was the 2003 model. I play pretty much all styles of music, from jazz, rock, metal, funk, punk, and pretty much you name it. It handles all pretty well, except for when you turn the gain up for a bit of distortion, wich like many smaller Marshall amps, is pretty crappy. I don't really use the line out very often except if I want to do some pretty low rate recording, hooking it through a hifi, wich it does surprisingly well. I tend not to use the headphone jack as I find it restrictive, but that also works as well as can be expected. As its the only amp I own I use it all the time and it definetly has all the power I need. It's been bumper around a bit moving it to and fro, but its still in good condition.