MG15CDR review by Marshall

Marshall: MG15CDR

I use this amp with my DiMarzio Fast Track pickups and it makes it sound pretty good. It's got a great clean channel which I like to use for a lot of Chili Peppers songs and the overdrive is ok for more bluesy tones, but it's still not great. The OD channel is a bit noisy when the gain is turned past 7 or 8 too. It's a very mild buzzing noise, but it was annoying for me. I just add a distortion or overdrive pedal and keep the amp on clean. The reverb can be a bit too much at times, so I have to keep the setting rather low (as in 1-3).

I play mostly metal and rock and this amp works fine for it. Bluesy tones aren't so great on it, but I still use the amp to practice some blues. I've been playing for a year and a half and also own a 50-watt tube Marshall. If this was lost or stolen, I wouldn't buy another one because it's pretty generic. I wish it had some effects, but I actually like using pedals better anyway.

As far as I can tell, this amp is solid as a rock. It's taken a lot of abuse as my practice amp (originally as my main amp) and looks like it could take a lot more. I've never had a single problem with it or heard of anybody with a problem with this amp. I travel with it all the time and it goes well. Sliding around my trunk without breaking, this thing is solid.

I got this amp back in early 2005 as my first amp to go with my Squire Strat (which I have modified with new high output pickups)and it's great. It will work for almost any kind of music, but it's best for metal and rock, although you should use a pedal for the distortion. The overdrive channel leaves something to be desired, but with my Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal, it's perfect. This is the edition with a spring reverb feature added to the MG15CD. It has a 3-band EQ, 2 channel system with FDD function, clean and overdrive separate volumes. I wish I had bought the one with the effects loop, but this one is fine for a starter amp.

Weybl Himself
    I don't know what you guys expected, it's a practice amp, for practicing, not performing, not recording. It doesn't need beautiful tones, just good enough to give you an idea of how you're playing, hence, practice amp.
    High_o
    yeh 499 is pretty bad...but maybe its some currency where 499 isn't much.
    MIK4YC
    wtf man 499. i got mine for 200 aussie bucks. next time shop around abit
    Westie
    i got mine for about 200 nz$ in december i think and its been a reliable little unit dispite the beer spills and knocks shes taken here and there.