MG15CDR review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 5.5 Decent
Marshall: MG15CDR

Purchased from: Halilit, Israel

I've tried this amplifier with multiple guitars. I mainly use my (horrible) Ibanez SA260FM. It sounds amazingly bad, small, characterless and dull. When you use the clean channel, at mid volume, expect shaking, and ratteling. That's how it is for me, with any guitar whatsoever. It's just the cheap manufacturing. That's all. Don't get me wrong, I know 15w 8" amps won't sound huge and great, but I've heared the peavy transtube Rage 158, and It blows this Marshall away. The OD, is horrible. But yet again, I don't judge OD's on small amps like this. Seriously, don't expect killer dist' tone out of any amp this size (except modeling amps, Roland cube etc). Compared to the Rage 158, it has higher overall gain, but it sounds horrible in all states. The Rage 158 sounds nice for mild-medium od. To conclude it all, sounds bad, horrible, small, it shakes! The reverb is pretty standard. I guess they could through in the effects chip they have on the MG15DFX. It's an ultra cheap-chip, they're just sucking money for the dfx. Distortion wise: Cube 15X>Transtube>MG. Clean wise: Transtube>MG>Cube (though the Cube doesn't shake).

For practice at home, it'll do the trick. Don't count on it for anything else. And even if you're just beginning, give the transtube 158/cube 15X a look. Both higher quality amps (in their own aspects. Transtube=real amp, Cube=DSP amp), which will give you better sound versatility, are both built smaller, and both sound better (Trastube sound better in clean mode, cube in dist). I bought this when I just started playing, and regret it up to now.

Up to now, I haven't had any problems with it. But generally, it's built bad. Doesn't feel solid (seeing the plastic is weak enough to shake), but I can't complain. I've had it for almost a year and it haven't broke on. Yet again, the transtube, and Roland Cube 15X are both better built.

Don't mind the wicked price tag. Israeli prices, go figure. The MG15CDR has two channels. Clean, and OD. Non-footswitchable, both go through the same EQ and power amp. A basic headphone+line out (they both sound incredibly noisy, wouldn't count on it to record anything). 8" speaker, I'm not sure which. FDD feature, designed to emulate tube sound. Actually just gives a bit more punch to the deal. Not useful at all.

akaDan
    I don't understand what everyone's problem is with this amp, I got it and its great. The sound I get from the distortion is just the trebley, crunch that I wanted for my music. The cleans aren't half bad either. Don't trust reviews, test it yourself and decide.
    dsnightgoat7
    Good point,everyones tastes arw diffeent. What do you expect from a amp that you can get for $50 on Craigslist,or$60 from Guitar Center used??? its a good little amp. It isnt what Id use,I got it as a quick plug in to amp for the living room to randomly jam with my stepson,and it works. Sad part is I got it to get him away from his Line 6 Spider III 15 amp,uuggghhh,lol,but hes stuck on the 15 watt Line 6 and thinks its the greatest sounding amp around,lol..poor kid...he needs to meet Mesa Boogie,Blackstar, Peavey 5150,Orange, etc...good point tho man...even with my stepson I gavce up on trying to get him to check out other amps ATLEAST on youtube,but hes too lazy..lol.anyways,I told him if the Lne 6 makes him happy thats cool...who is anyone else to judge him for using what he digs??
    The_Un4given
    People! People! What are you whining about?! You all guys play on JCMs and huge amps on stage and stuff and then you come to us little people and tell us how this amp sucks. Shut UP! You haven't played on a bad amp. When you play on "Aster LK-GodKnowsWhaT" "20w" with something I thought was "nice" overdrive. I used that before (not mine tho). And I wanted to buy it. And then I got opportunity to play on this amp and I can tell you its amazing comparing to other 'amps' I played on..This amp turned on 1/4 is louder then all the other amps that we have at our rehearsing room (Regent, Aster and stuff). And after I played on this amp I cant stand playing on Aster again. One dude said this amp has crappy sound and stuff.GET BETTER GUITAR. I own Duncan's humbucker and it rules If you expect something masive go for some JCM or stuff like that and stop eating crap..It's Marshall after all.
    Baasoromyuu
    I played on this amp at my friend's house using one of his B.C. Rich Warlocks. It sounded pretty good to me (after all the only other amp I've played is a Yamaha GA-10 that I got with the starter kit) but he had a Digitech RP 250 which may have improved the sound alot.
    barracuda939
    yoshimurajt
    I picked this up as a practice amp because I was tired of lugging the MG100 around. I actually think this thing sounds better than the MG100. I've got a Vintage Modern on the way to replace the MG100. But, I'll still be using the MG15 for practice, because I'm definitely not lugging a half stack around for practice. I'll dial it in at home and hope the neighbors don't call the police.
    wchurchill
    it seems they are mixed feelings about this amp , but it will be quiet good with a pedal
    SG-Burchett
    ironic- the third review by 'the_guy' bought this amp from the same shop as me ans played the same guitar as me at the time he wrote his review-that guitar also bought from the same shop...wierd-but pointless. anyway-awesome good practise amp.
    tomislav12
    I believe that my comment above will stop comments like these. This is a practice amp, not a gigging amp! ...Oh, and distortion is for heavy metal, overdrive is for rock.
    barracuda939
    I would like to clarify one more point 1) My Marshall is MADE IN INDIA. I have been told that the Indian made Marshalls are horrible in terms of Build QUality and sound
    SG-Burchett
    nadavnaz wrote: Just fyi... This amp is complete rubbish. I have it, it literally SHAKES when I play on half volume on the clean channel. I don't ever expect good Dist/Od from small amps, but this one's really poorly made and constructed. (Even for a 15w... I tried a peavy rage 158, and was amazed to see it DIDN'T RATTLE/SHAKE, and sounded way better.) Two best options instead: Peavy 158, Roland cube 15x. If you're gonna get an od/crunch/dist pedal with the amp, get the peavy. Sounds best. The roland sounds worse on clean but has modeling.
    barracuda939 wrote: HORRIBLE AMP. plz plz do not buy it. Its been a month and Ive been fed up with the overdrive. It simply doesnt sound good. I use an LTD M100FM (yeah yeah laugh it off..its a decent guitar !!) and I simply cant get the right tone squeezed out of it. DAMN MUSICIAN's MALL (Mumbai,India) The fool tricked me into buying a marshall. The reverb is sad ..very sad. PLZ BUY THE CUBE 15X or the other amps which ppl have suggested. THOROUGHLY DISAPPOINTED (Price paid Rs 5460 ;conversion 1$ = 50 rs approx.)
    honestly don't know what these two are talking about.-doesn't shake unless you have the bass up too high and its the same with all amps in the same wattage and price range. the reverb is reasonably good as well-if you want massive reverb, the only way to get it is with a fx pedal or 700+ stack so i don't know what you mean there. overdrive is awesome for classic rock-understandable you think its bad if you want to do modern metal cos the overdrive does hiss a load once on high gain and above half volume.-but this is a practise amp-its not supposed to be going gig-loud
    tomislav12
    nadavnaz wrote: Just fyi... This amp is complete rubbish. I have it, it literally SHAKES when I play on half volume on the clean channel. I tried a peavy rage 158, and was amazed to see it DIDN'T RATTLE/SHAKE, and sounded way better.
    Did you notice that a Peavy Rage 158 is 2 kilos heavier?
    barracuda939 wrote: Its been a month and Ive been fed up with the overdrive. It simply doesnt sound good.
    It sounds great to me. If you want extreme amounts of distortion buy a pedal or an expensive monster of an amp.
    DAMN MUSICIAN's MALL (Mumbai,India) The fool tricked me into buying a marshall.
    You can't be tricked into buying a Marshall, you can be tricked to buy something else.
    The reverb is sad ..very sad.
    I wrote: ..buy a pedal or an expensive monster of an amp.
    barracuda939 wrote: PLZ BUY THE CUBE 15X or the other amps which ppl have suggested.
    Please buy the cube? Do you work in Roland?