MG15DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG15DFX

I use an Ibanez RG350DX, also a cheap Strat copy, the Strat was 3 singles, the Ibanez has 2 humbuckers and a single. Using the Ibanez with high gain overdrive is awesome! You feel like Kirk form Metallica has come round and messed with your amp, you can easely get a metal sound, it's even better with a metal effects pedal. On clean the sound feels solid and toney, on overdrive it's crunchy and reminds me of when the TV goes snowy due to lack of reception (that's not bad) overdrive can get really out of control and noisy if you're using seperate effects (not built in the amp) with it. I'd recommed buying a noise surpressor if your planning to use pedals on overdrive. I can make a bluesy sound with my strat copy, which I can't do with my Ibanez (some new pickups would solve this), it's good for everything I'd say, as long as you don't have a guitar like my Ibanez which is specifically designed for metal and hard rock.

As I've said metal and this amp go extremly well, and I'm sure if I playied anything else it'd work just as well, but I haven't really spent alot of time experimenting as I know what I like. I've been playing for 6 month now although I'm outplaying 2 of my freinds who have been playing for 2 years. I have an Ibanez RG350DX, this amp, Boss ME-50 effects, unbranded Strat copy, wah-wah pedal, another 15watt amp unbranded. I wish I'd seen how powerful it was first, but it was a bargain and I can always sell this one for more and buy another. If it was lost or stolen I would buy the 30watt version (without the effects) because I don't need them with my pedal and all. Almost everything is good about these amps, I highly reccmend them and would never buy any other brand. One thing I really do hate about this is the weight, I used to be able to carry my effects pedal in a backpack with all the leads, the guitar in one hand and the amp in the other and that would wear me out walking for 2miles with it (which I did a few times) now I would want to have a trolly for the amp otherwise I'd kill myself as the amp weighs more than all of my other equpment but together! but if I had a trolley I'd be thrilled with this baby, I'd take him everywhere hehe! I wish it came with a Marshall t-shirt so everyone knows I have a Marshall amp but other than that it's great!

I would depend on it, It came with a 3 year warranty, so thats got to be good (although thats probably not for all these amps). It's very heavy for a 15watt, I have another 15watt amp which is half the weight admittadly half the sound. I would gig this amp without a backup, I'm not sure if it'd cope with a gig any bigger than a small-meduim sized pub. I've only had the amp for a while now but I've heard nothing but good things about the durability of Marshall, and my freind has the MG15CDR for 3 months and it works fine. I think you could probably jump up and down of this amp for an hour before it'd stop working.

This amp seems to be able to handle a lot of diffrent styles. It's really easy to get a great metal sound from it, on the back of the instruction manual it shows how each knob should be adjusted to get each sound (bright clean, warm clean, blues/crunch & metal), although I have an Ibanez and a strat copy and on the Ibanez it doesn't like making pop/rock sounds, which is ideal as I prefer metal. There are 2 channels, clean and overdrive, there is no gain control for the clean channel which is slightly annoying, and there seems to be no way of controlling the amount of overdrive which is also annoying. The clean is a very good sound which I can only describe as the Marshall sound, the overdrive is madness, it's the opposite extreme to the clean, it's crunchy and a very good basic distortion (great for metal), put turn it up too much it starts to get a bit too grainy. This is the same as the MG15CDR but with flanger, delay, chorus & reverb which can be controlled quite well, you don't have complete control over the effects but if you were serouis about the effects you would buy pedals, this amp is for begginers who want to try out some effects, or somebody who just wants to nab a bargain like me. There is a emulated CD input and emulated headphone jack, the cd input is designed so that you can play along with your music, it's also very useful for plugging another guitar into the amp, so you can play 2 guitars on the same amp, although you cannot use the volume controls or effects in this socket it's just a clean sound. I wish there was a clean gain control and an control for the amount of overdrive. I don't really use the in built effects due to having a Boss ME-50 pedal which has all the effects and sounds under the sun, also you need to remember unlike pedals, when playing live you cannot turn the effects on and off (unless you run up to the amp and turn the knob exactly, so it's good for steady all thought the song sounds. I use this amp in my bedroom, which is probably considered small to most people but it's big for me! It has plenty of power for what I need, I only ever keep it on volume 2-3 because my neighbours can hear it even when I have it on 3, at band practices everyone takes 15watt amps because it's to heavy to carry anything else and most of us don't have transport and my Marshall MG15SFX drowns everybody out when everyones on max volume, which suits me being lead guitarist! The Marshall 15watt amps seem to have 25watts of power compared to other amps. It's solid state I believe, but there is an FDD button which makes it sound like a tube amp.