MG15DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG15DFX

Purchased from: Sam Goody

I have used my Squier Strat. It's still in factory settings, so it has crappy single-coil pickups. It suits my music style(s). I like classic rock and '80s stuff, and the reverb really helps emphasize the sound. It also has delay, so I can attempt, but no more than attempt, to play EVH's Cathedral. If I set it right, it also makes my two-handed taps sound a lot faster and more professional. I don't have trouble when I use it with my friend's Ibanez. It sounds cool with distortion, and the harmonics sound awesome. The clean channel, when turned at above halfway, puts the amp into crunch mode, and gives it a "bluesy" distortion, according to Jim Marshall.

It's a match for my style, but the overdrive isn't strong enough for me, so I use a distortion pedal. But I only have one cable, because the crappy cable I got with the Strat Pack decided to completely stop working one day. I've been playing for over a year, and that is irrelevant to the quality of the amp (which is A++). Is there something I wish I asked? Well, I wish I would have shopped around to find a cheaper MG15DFX, because I worked so many hours in a cornfield for this. Even though it cost a lot of money, every penny was worth it. If it were stolen, I'd turn into the Hulk and rampage all over the world until I found it. I wouldn't steal it from anybody else, though, because it's a good amp, and I'd only want mine back if it got stolen. I love everything about it, and only hate the fact that I don't have a functioning electric, or acoustic-electric guitar to plug into this ferocious beauty. I used it a few times at Sam Goody and I fell in love with it in the first note. I chose it because it was sexy, powerful, it had the digital effects, and you can get a ton of sounds out of it.

It is reliable. I would depend on it. It's pretty loud, so it might be good for a small show, but I haven't had one yet. It's durable. It got some rust/corroding crap on it, but it sat in my basement for a while when my electric guitar's strings broke. It feels extremelly solid, and I've even plugged in a bass guitar into it several times, and I've plugged a bass guitar into the emulated CD jack, and my guitar into the Input jack, and it played just fine. I've even played distortion bass on it. It hasn't broke down yet, but I don't know if using bass on it could hurt the lifespan of this amp.

I don't know when this amp was made. But I know it is versatile enough to play Van Halen, The Police, and other random stuff that I play, but I don't try to sound exactly like them. I has two channels: clean and standard. It also has this FDD thing, I think it stands for frequency dependant damper, I don't have the manual with me at the moment. The FDD circuit is supposed to mimic an all-valve amp. It has an input jack (of course), the clean volume, Drive volume, gain control, and three EQ settings: bass (low-end), contour (mid-range), and treble (high-end). I like to turn the bass low, contour to half, and the treble at full. I control the bass through the 5-way Switch and tone knobs on my Squire Strat. It also has an effects loop. As you turn it clockwise, you run through different settings of each effect. There is a Reverb section, and as you go clockwise in that section, the decay time grows longer. The next is the Delay section. That controls the delay speed and how many times it repeats. Next is the Chorus. and moving through that controls depth and speed, and then the Flanger, and turning through that controls depth and regeneration. I wish it had a seperate reverb control, but I could just buy a pedal with more control over it. I never use the Chorus or Flanger, and you can't easily change effects in between songs. It's a 15W amp, but it's pretty loud, especially when I plug in my Bad Dog Distortion. It has more than enough power for me.

Ace Frehley
    All the marshalls rock out! First this amp is soo cool cuz you got the fx on the amp and it's only 15watt!I'm using it for home practise but I also use it for my band practice. This amp really rocks the logo "Marshall: on it says it all. Big rockstars are all using marshall,They know something more than you to use them.
    notoriousnumber
    I saw one today and I was totally going to buy it, but when I had gathered all my money together and I was about to go back and buy it, I remembered that I had ripped all my electrics out of my guitar while customizing it.