MG15DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG15DFX

Purchased from: Chichester

I am using it with a B.C Rich Warlock with it's standard pickups, it suits my style very well, but to be perfect it just needs more power. It's noisy enough for a good band practise at home, I have it set on volume 5-8 and gain 3.5 on the overdrive channel, wheras the clean channel I rarely use. The treble is 10 and bass is 3, the contour is 4 and level is 6, and I always have FDD on. It can make a huge variety of sounds, though I tend to stick to my current settings. The clean channel does not distort at high volumes. The distortion has to be set up exactly as I have for perfect metal brutalitly, as if it isn't it either seems muted or undistorted.

I play quite a mix of strumming and plucking in metal, and this amp is a good match. I have been playing for two years and own an MG100 too. If it was lost or stolen then I would probrably just use my 100 watt on lower volume. I love the tone and recommend it to new players as for the price it's the best 15 watt out there in my opinion.

I can depend on it, however I wouldn't use it for gigging as it doesnt't produce enough noise. It has never broken down. If I was to use it for gigging then the only reason I would take a backup would be if I blew it, however it has never occured before and I don't belive that it ever will.

The amp was made in 2002. It is very versatile considering it has only 15 watts of output. I play a lot of thrash metal, and use this for practise, and the tone is perfect. It has 2 channels and a headphone jack. It has enough features for what I use it for, as I use it at home. It has enough power for practise, however I prefer to use my 100 watt for gigging to provide sufficient noise.