MG15DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG15DFX

Price paid: A$ 210

Purchased from: Kosmic Cannington

I am playing with a B\.C\. Rich Warlock (got it in trade for a classical guitar I found in a bin which is equipped with 2 BDSM (stock) humbuckers. On clean it plays fairly well but I'm not terribly fond of the distortion and find that it get's annoying with the gain over about 3 or 4 on the overdrive channel.

This is a practice amp, so you can't expect great things of it. The in built effects are handy to toy around with to achieve some basic sound modifications to add a little more versatility to your playing. I have only been playing guitar for about 6 or 7 weeks (I'm 20) and electric guitar for less than a week so I'm not the most experienced player. I own a classical Acoustic manufactured by the Suzuki Violin Co some thirty years ago, a B\.C\. Rich Warlock and a Marshall MS-2 micro amp to use on the road as I use public transport and can't carry the MG15. If this amp were lost or stolen I'd probably make do with the MS-2 until I could afford a better amp. I only chose this amp as it fit my price range and came as part of the "Marshall Rock Box" which bundled a few accessories I thought would be handy as I am just starting out.

I only just got this amp but it seems like it can take a beating. The only thing I am slightly doubtful about is the fact that the button to switch between clean and overdrive seems to be fiddly sometimes and can end up with the amp going silent and "stuck" in neutral, i.e not on either channel. I doubt I would use this in a gig as it is only a 15W practice amp.

My amp was made in 2008. I am fairly new to guitar, especially electric guitar but so far this suits my style which is mostly rock and metal. It has a clean and an overdrive channel and 4 built in effects (Reverb, Delay, Chorus and Flange) which are fun to mess around with but I find the reverb effect to be lacking. It has 1 guitar input, a headphone output and a line in/out jack which can come in handy for practicing against a backing track or recording. I find it packs a surprising punch for a 15W amp and I could definitely annoy the neighbours with it.

AZ001
    my first amp. good for a practice amp, not bad for a small stage, and i find the sound quite alright..i dunno y ppl say it sux :| cant compare to a peavy vypyr obv cause its a basic amp, but id say, compared to similar amps, its pretty good, if not awesome.