MG15DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Marshall: MG15DFX

I have a Squier strat, never use it but long ago I did. My main guitar is a Schecter Hellraiser CR with 81/89 EMG's. Not totally sure on which ver the EMG's are but thats what I've read. I bought this guitar because I just couldnt get good sound with the Strat, I was craving a real guitar sound, and the active EMG's help to achieve a fat sound in my opinion, the problem however is now the Amp. I cannot for the life of me get a good tone out of this amp, even with effects, I can't make the guitar scream and riff and it sounds good, however not with the onboard distortion, the built in distortion is grainy, and ugly, you can probably get the ACDC kind of sound but its really limited to that. I use a Metal Master DigiTech pedal which crunches nicely for my limited budget. I like the Clean channel on this guitar, I find it precise and with the addiction of some chorus sounds very nice. It is however quite thin, and lacks tone. The amp does not like chords, I find it increasingly hard to play chords and hear the individual sounds. I've become quite a tone junkie and I can't tweak tone out of this box. The sound is however sufficent for practicing, it does not however do gigging well, if you turn this sucker up to match your drummer its going to sound like a mess. I will however rate this generously a 7 because I've heard some Peavy's and other solid state small amps that sound absolutely horrible in comparison to mine which really says alot about theirs.

I play Rock, Metal, some soft stuff, I dabble with spanish music and very little folk. I've been playing about 6 years, which doesn't say much as I was in the Military and had very little time to play, but I'm an ok guitarist. I think I got what I paid for when I bought this Amp, it served its purpose well and is still running. If it was lost or stolen I would hunt down the thief(just for the damn principle) and buy a better amp. I'm going to be totally honest with you guys, if you need an amp on the cheap or are a beginner, this amp isnt bad, its loud enough to practice with, and you get Jam out with it and enjoy it. Your not going to get great tones out of it but what you think about a tone and I think are two different things. Try it out and you may love it, when I first tried it I loved it and I don't regret buying it, I'm now moving on to a Peavy Valveking 212. If possible a Mesa 212 Roadking. The only thing they screwed up on this amp was lack of volume control for the line in and crappy headphone emulation, other than that its a solid little starter amp and yes it will make your ears ring.

Its awesomely reliable, I would go kicking it around but I've had mine tossed around in my truck with my wild driving, and this thing as survived more than 4 years already. Finish hasn't worn off, and there is no difference since the day I bought it. Very durable.

I bought this amp around 2006? Can't really remember. The Amp is solid state, has a few effects some new guitarists may desire to play around with, which it does well. As far as onboard effects go I'd say they are meger at best but do give you the feel of reverb, chorus, flanger and delay. I use the amp to practice with and play with a drummer I'm friends with. I never really use the delay because I suppose it just doesn't appeal to me, don't like the layering. It has alot of desireable jacks for line in, headphone out, but the emulated headphone out sucks big time, doesn't sound anything like the amp does. Line in sucks too, there is no volume knob for it so you can't plug in and Jam with a song because you wont hear it, at least if you play with others.

kimhags
    the reason why some people rate them a 9 or 10 is that they're beginners. look at some of the people who did the review,their playing experience range from a few weeks to a couple of months. what do you expect?it is a good beginners amp but if you're an experienced player this amp would be a piece of crap.
    kimhags
    wallyyfm wrote: TERRIBLE AMP why do people give 9 and 10s, wtf, have you used anything but that piece of garbage?
    Experiencedniz
    Now guys, listen. If you have a tight budget: GOOD AMP. If not, you can always afford something better. This is a MARSHALL amp. You know that the company is famous, and the sound is good. People say it doesn't have a good clean sound. That's wrong cause they just don't know to keep their settings right. Some people say Line 6 amps are better. I say, maybe. Cause Line 6 has more effects but sound digital. Marshall sounds fresh and natural. The MG DFX can be a really good amp when used with a good guitar processo r.
    Woffelz
    Experiencedniz wrote: Now guys, listen. If you have a tight budget: GOOD AMP. If not, you can always afford something better. This is a MARSHALL amp. You know that the company is famous, and the sound is good. People say it doesn't have a good clean sound. That's wrong cause they just don't know to keep their settings right. Some people say Line 6 amps are better. I say, maybe. Cause Line 6 has more effects but sound digital. Marshall sounds fresh and natural. The MG DFX can be a really good amp when used with a good guitar processor.
    I disagree with this. Someone on a tight budget could get a Roland Cube 15XL or 20XL.
    DarkestDahlia
    i got a digitech pedal with this amp and i don't touch the amp, except for the volume. i gotta say the distortion on the amp is weak, but the pedal does it's job and i get the metal sound i look for.
    DannyBoyGuitar9
    This is a great little amp and for the price is very good. But, unless you have a tight budget you can easily get something better. In this price range though it is probably the best. The only other real competitor for this price is the Line 6 spider but the Marshall is clearly better.
    LivinJoke84
    I had this amp and i thought it was ok for the money as a beginner. The o/d is kinda shit on it but a DS-1 will sort that out. It was fun to use the on board fx (which i sometimes miss now i have an amp without them). A decent amp for a beginner. Considering a lot of people will be using those shitty Park Marshall things that come in those squire starter packs this is tonnes better than those