MG15FX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG15FX

Purchased from: GAK

I use a Les Paul with the amp and it does sound cool, like I said it gives a great AC/DC tone and an OK metal sound (the palm muting doesn't sound so great). For a 15 watt amp it can be loud when you want it to be and it is great for home use as a practice amp. It has four channels, Clean, Crunch, OD1 and OD2. These setting are prestored into the amp/footswitch already, naturally I changed the settings into some sounds that I wanted. When clean it gives a seriously awesome sound (I put a bit of chorus on to enhance the sound) like the part on Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven when Page's Les Paul starts to be played:D. The crunch channel is a very subtle distortion which I don't really bother with, the OD1 chanel it a bit heavier than the crunch channel and OD2 is a lot heavier but not great for heavy metal.

Like I said a billion times, its cool for playing old rock like AC/DC, you can get a metal sound out of the amp but its not serioulsy awesome, the clean channel actually is awesome and I guess its a good match for the style of music I play. I've been playing for about a year now and have an old Squier/Fender Strat, Dunlop Wah, Danelectro metal pedal(which I might use again for hardcore metal sounds), Squier SP-10 (the reason WHY I got a marshall). I would buy another one if it was stolen because I don't think there is a practice amp better than this, even other 15 watt Marshall amplifiers. I just wish it had a badass metal sound:P

I haven't had it that long but it seems like a reliable amp, I wouldn't take it to a gig purely because it's a 15 watt practice amp and if I was gigging I'd save up for a Marshall JCM900 with two cabs:D. If I hooked it up to a cab then I probabaly wouldn't need a backup amplifier, and since it's a solid state amp (Marshall do say that they're doing a valve version) it won't break down easily

Its a new (solid state) amp from Marshall made it 2008 I think, its very versatile, has a few effects which aren't too bad like reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser and delay. I mainly play rock and metal, its an awesome amp for getting tones such as AC/DC. But for metal such as Metallica and Black Sabbath I haven't found a sound (yet) that would work for truly heavy metal. But I guess that's what pedals like the Boss Metalcore are for eh? I got an MG-4 programmable footswitch with it that can store up to four different sounds, it also has a built in tuner which it really useful if you wanted to change from standard tuning into drop C. If this amp had a good metal sound it would be even more badass.

pingjim
    leftinflinflon wrote: the MG series is only for those that cannot afford a real Marshall.
    Prat !! This amp is aimed at beginners. What beginners will know a god dam thing about a "real Marshall" and do they care ?!?! You was a beginner at some point mate, don't mock !!
    Kingnichendrix
    it was played on a Telecaster in the actual recording.
    Woffelz
    You rich snob. MG's are PRACTICE amps.