MG250DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG250DFX

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

I use a Fender Squier Strat which has three single coil pick-ups in it. As I mentioned higher up, I play metal and mixed with my DigiTech Death Metal distortion pedal it sounds absolutely amazing. My one problem with this amp is the annoying feed back that you get when it's booted up to gig worthy volumes. The amp has standard clean and distorted channels and plenty of effects (chorus, delay, chorus & delay, flanger and a seperate reverb). The clean channel never sounds distorted at high levels and never lets me down. The distortion is damn good but not brutal enough for the kind of thrash metal I play.

I don't think this amp is a typical metal amp but it does extremely well with a good distortion pedal. I have a Jim Dunlop Cry Baby, DigiTech Death Metal distortion and a Digi-Tech RP100 Multi FX. I use them all with this amp and works well with them all. If this amp was lost or stolen I'd probably go for an MG stack, the same as this but in stack form, but I would deffinitely stick with the MG range, they're amazing.

I use it at all my gigs without any backup and it never does me wrong. It never breaks down and works everytime.

I play mainly metal but I do play a bit of everything. This amp caters for my every need in a guitar sound. The two channels and digital FX are easy to switch between using the footswitch (included). There's a headphone jack / emulated line out. The headphone jack is great obviously to practice without annoying anyone. I use all of the features on my amp but sometimes dont use the DFX. Not because they're not very good but just because I don't use them in any of my songs, the effects ont his amp are aboslutely amazing. I don't need any more features on this amp, it has everything I need! Well I also use a Jim Dunlop CryBaby but built in wah always sucks! I use this amp when gigging with my band and for bedroom practice, it does me well for both and kicks ass at any level of volume.

Johnny Blade
    I had one of these. Swapped it for a Laney GH50l and 4x12 cabinet which is worth alot more. Works better!
    cointurtlemoose
    I wish I would've waited longer before posting my review... At the deal I got mine for, the amp is strictly OK, but at the retail price, it's a ripoff. The overdrive with the gain and contour past midway breaks up and sounds like bumblebees when the volume is past 4. Save up more and buy a better amp. I'm lucky my Parker Nitefly makes actually improves the tone of the amp...
    sixstringlach
    great amp, really great. It's a tank too, it's been dropped off trucks and out vans (much to my dismay), and is still in perfect working order. Happy Day, Au Revoir
    Johnny Blade
    I owned one of these but I have to be honest I didn't like it much. I traded it with a mate for a Laney GH50L and 4x12 cabinet. Which is worth like twice as much.
    Johnny Blade
    I had one of these. To be honest I didn't like it much. I traded it for a Laney GH50L & 4x12 cabinet, which is worth alot more.
    chomieMan59
    As i am still a student, it is half impossible for me to buy decent gear with my salary. I bought this amp after my fender blew the morning of a band practice. At first yes, the overdrive didnt cut it and i wasnt impressed. But when i ran my DigiTech Metal Master through it, it promptly tore my singer's balls off. This amp is a beast with the right pedals. And it sounds fine clean, i dont know what you guys have against this amp.