MG250DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG250DFX

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

I play a Squier Californian Series Strat that came standard with a humbucker in the bridge but I have since replaced it with a Fender Noiseless. I play mainly blues and rock but it's probably more suitable for metal or heavy rock as the distortion on the OD channel is too crunchy if you're just after a mild blues overdrive. The gain knob set at 10 on the clean channel doesn't give enough crunch for a mild blues overdrive so you have to you use a pedal if you're after that sort of sound (I just use a Boss DS-1 and it sounds awesome). Also feedback starts to kick in and it buzzes a fair bit if you're on the OD channel and the volume is about 4 and upwards, which is pretty bad if you plan on playing gigs. But never the less, this amp definately doesn't lack in volume.

Overall, a pretty decent amp. Clean channel is great, but as I mentioned the OD channel is a bit too intense for my liking, but you can definately make it sing with a pedal or 2. If it were lost or stolen, I probably wouldn't buy it again. I'd probably go for a Fender DeVille or something. I also wish the reverb effect could be operated by a footswitch.

This amp is very durable, never had any problems with it at all. It is very solid and well built so I wouldn't worry too much about it breaking. Yes, I would use it at a gig without a backup, mainly because it's the only amp I've got (apart from a 0 Watt practice amp), and also the fact that taking 2 amps to a gig would be a hassle but yeah, I definately would be confident that it wouldn't fail.

This amp has 2 channels: clean/overdrive which you can alternate between using the provided footswitch. It also has 4 inbuilt effects (chorus/delay, delay, chorus and flanger) but you can't switch between them, you can simply choose the one you want by the knob on the amp, and then turn it on and off. There is also an inbuilt reverb effect but you have to turn that on at the amp and this can't be turned on and off by the footswitch which is pretty useless if you're playing at a gig (unless of course you're happy to quickly go over to the amp and turn it on/off between songs).