MG250DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG250DFX

Purchased from: Mom's Music in Jeffersonville, IN

I'm currently using an Ibanez AR300 with the stock pickups with this amp. I usually play Metallica, Pantera, and Sabbath, but I also enjoy the blues and clean Zeppelin songs. This amp does a great job of creating all of these sounds with my current guitar. Another great thing about this amp is that you can hear the notes (generally) and not the noise. The clean stays very clean in high volumes with the suggested clean setting on the back of the "directions" that came with it. I have also played a Gibson Explorer through one of these at guitar center and loved it. That will probally be my next purchase.

If you're looking for an amp that has great sound, volume, and reliability, this is the amp for you. I've played a lot of amps in my 2 years of playing and this has proven to be the best one for the money. I probably wouldn't buy another one if this were stolen or lost. I would probaly get a Krankenstein, Peavy 6505+, or Marshall Mode-Four half stack instead. The only thing that I wish it had were side handles so that it would be easier to carry with 2 people. This amp definately kicks ass.

I've only owned this amp for about a month, but it has been very reliable and durable for as long as I have had it. I will definately use this amp whenever my band starts gigging. I've heard of people having amps like this for 10 years and only having to replace a blown fuse every once in a while. I expect the quality of Marshall amps to be true with this one too.

I worked an entire summer frying chicken to buy this amp, and I am extremely pleased with it. I'm pretty sure that this amp was made in 2005 because it stayed in the showroom for about a year before I bought it. The versatility of this monster is amazing. I can anything from early Metallica or Pantera to Sabbath or Zeppelin to nearly acoustic or blues tones with the turn of a few knobs. The only bad thing about it is it's weight and it's headphone jack because I can still hear sound coming out of the speakers whenever I use my headphones. And it is kinda akward to carry it by yourself. All of the effects sound great and it is definately loud enough to play in my drummer's basement.

uvq
    I've noticed people say they are getting feedback when they turn it up.. thats cause their guitars are crap, cause the amp doesnt do it with my mg250dfx... if they something which was better than a squier or epiphone this wouldnt happen..
    millynell14
    uvq wrote: [quote]mikedirnt96 wrote: SOAD_GOD wrote: i have this amp. it will please people with no/not that much experience with tone. i have experience. it is really not very good tone: the clean is lifeless, the distortion is wayyyyy too fizzy, and if you use an EQ pedal to get rid of the fizz, it sounds very weak, weaker than it did before, and that was weak on it's own. with high gain settings, it feeds back like crazy, and is uncontrollable. you have to change channels to avoid it. it hasmore power than the smaller MG's and is louder, which does make it better as you can get a more crushing tone. but not crushing enough. i'm upgrading to a valve amp, because, as someone has said, it leaves you wanting more. i might get the Orange tiny terror.... real valve tone at a volume that doesn't destroy your ears!!! [quote] if its too fizzy, why dont you try turning the treble down? and turn the distortion down instead of hiding behind it, when the amp is above say 1 on the master volume, do you know how much distortion you have? and the reason it is feedbacking uncontrollably is because you're... a shit guitarist.
    haha well said my friend!
    jr1960
    Actually I agree on buying a good amp / also agree that is where your tones are being shaped. but with a crappy guitar you're spinnin your wheels. I only recommended the pedal for that heavy dist for metal, this amp won't get you there without it. However - distortion in my opinion is not a tone - it is an effect - tone is sweetness or fullness - call it whatever - you'll not get tone with a $150 guitar thru a $5000 amp - be better off with a $500 amp and a $1000 guitar. I also have a Rivera tube amp 212 combo, the Marshall sounds better a 1/4 the price. I value your opinion, but do not agree it is a POS amp. Pedals will not shape your tone unless it is designed to do so, think of mod. effects - thats all that do. WIthout a starting point (guitar) even the most expensive mod effects sound cheap
    uvq
    Run.to.the.hill wrote: "At the moment I am using an Epiphone gibson sg with two seymour duncan humbuckers, so i know what great tone sounds like" LOL man you made my day, lol omg i might need surgery from this Try a GIBSON GIBSON LES PAUL with two GIBSON pickups and an amp with some VALVES and then we can talk about great tone
    i agree haha
    Run.to.the.hill
    High_o
    jr1960
    You guys buying guitars at Walmart? If you are serious about music spend some coin & buy a decent axe. This amp sounds great. Try a REAL Fender or a REAL Gibson & see. IF cash is a problem the PRS SE models are a bargain @$550, I have a Taylor Solid Body & get any sound or tone I need, I use it live weekly ( or more) & it has not let me down yet - I will say if you must have that annoying metal sound - get a pedal - feedback a problem ? nonono - dont stand 2" in front of it with pos pick ups - I use a MFX Processor only, and usually stand 8-10 feet away master set at 1/4-which is pretty loud & have no trouble at all, I have been playing almost 40 years - I know tone - if you are having issues with tone play with those knobs & see what happens
    mikedirnt96
    well why get 250 watts if you dnt wnt it 2 be loud????
    rhcpfan118
    btw... the fm 212r doesn't come with any effects (get the 212dsp for that) but it does come with a decent spring reverb (i just read the mg has digital...) and overdrive.
    rhcpfan118
    i had this for one day, bought it used for... 350 i believe, and didn't even play it and took it back to guitar center and bought a fender fm 212r for a little more... new. i think i made the right choice, seeing as this amp is about 500 new... i had heard bad things about it anyway. go me. btw... the fender is great if you wanted to know, loud, a little sensitive on the knobs but you get used to it.
    HAMMETTOWNS
    Pretty good for blues and classic rock. For heavy metal it is not the greatest, it can dohair metal pretty good also. The best thing about this amp is the leads those I found to be quite amazing, so I run both my Marshall 8100 and this, 8100 for rythums, mg for leads.
    SOAD_GOD
    OttovanZanten
    does this sound as bad as the smaller MG's? I assume it has the same distortion, i HATE it.. maybe this 1 is better, hope so
    WhiteLightning
    I think Marshall is over rated... if your gonna use a pedal on this amp why get it? you could buy any other amp with a great distortion and switch it to clean andput the pedal through it and sound the same as before.
    jr1960
    High_o wrote: wow, 40 years of experience and you're recommending a pos amp with pedals to get the tone you want. spend most of your money on a good amp, then less on a decent guitar - but keep in mind your amp is going to make up most of your tone. and dont get an inappropriate amp and then try to get the tone you want with pedals