MG30DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG30DFX

Purchased from: www.guitar-village.co.uk

When I went out to buy an amp, I wanted one that would be able to give me versatility becasue I was only reletively new to playing the guitar (I'd been playing 2 years when I bought it). I hadn't really elected a style that I played the most, I wanted an amp that could cover most styles: punk, rock, metal, ska and blues. With this amp, I can get the sounds needed to play these styles and the MG30DFX does this very well. I mainly use my bridge humbucker on my Brawley. I do find sometimes that i can get unwanted feedback but that is easily solved by moving just a little to the side or away from it. having the gain setting too high can also result in unwanted feedback in my experience, easily solved though. At higher volumes I find that the distortion is a little bit less defined but only slightly, I have played a few gigs with it and it has come through these well. The clean channel has very good headroom, when on full the sound doesnt distort as I had expected it to when I first bought it. Overall I think that this amp has a very good sound, when I get a new amp I will most probably get a Marshall because of the very high standard of sound that I have got from this model.

This amp is amazing, I wasn't expecting it to be so good when I bought it. The sound quality is just astonishing I feel and I love using the digital effects. I would though recommend that the FDD button is always pushed in becasue it makes the amp sound much better. If it was stolen I probably wouldn't buy this model again, I expect that I would buy a more powerful model e.g the MG100DFX because I would like to have a bigger, more powerful amp. If you don't need so much power though, I would suggest this as the amp for you!

during the time that i have had this amp, it has never broken down. i don't service it, all i do is chack on the wires in the back (two of them!) now and again. The footswitch that i bought separately for it is another matter though. i was using it about 9 months after i had bought it and suddenly, while i was playing, it started switching between the channels when i wasn't touching it. it didn't do it again until i was playing a gig, off all the places. i have taken it apart and there is nothing wrong. luckily it hasn't done this since.

The Marshall MG30DFX features two channel, clean and distortion. These is also a separate effects channel that has chorus, flange, reverb and delay. There is a headphone jack, a cd input and there is a footswitch jack is you decide to buy the footswitch. there is a FDD (frequency dependant damping) button which when pused in, makes the amp sound more valve like. I recommend that this button is used, it makes the amp sound so much better. The effects can't be turned on/off by a switch, you have to manually turn the 'effect level' dial down. I use this amp for practise in my room, only at lowish volumes. I also use it when I play with my band, for these practises I usually have it almost full volume, it is loud enough I find to be heard over the drums, even in a smallish garage. I am very happy with the features on this amp and I don't regret buying it. I play alot of styles and I have found that this amp can cope with all of them (see below).