MG30DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG30DFX

Purchased from: ebay

I use a kramer focus with my amp. It is my first guitar and with the amp its even better. It suits my style perfectly as it has all the right sounds for the styles I play and enough volume to pack a punch if needed. It usually stays on clean sound as I find if I'm learning a new song it it clearer to hear and when im sure of it I'll switch to proper effects. The clean channel doesn't go into distortion in the volume I use it but at full volume it may so it may not be fully good for gigging. The distortion isn't too brutal even at full but it depends what your looking for.

I mainly play around the rock and metal styles, so it is good for my style as it has moderate distortion and good clean sound. I have only been playing since just before christmas so its good for my skill level. If I had asked anything before I bought it, I would have asked about the clean sound at hight level turning to distortion. But as I haven't come across it yet it seems to be ok. I would definitely buy it again if it was stolen, providing they dont steal my money and guitar aswell. I love it beceause it sounds so much better than my previous amp the Marshall MS-2. I hate it because its soo heavy and I can only carry it a little way at a time. My favourite feature is the reverb level. I love the echoing effect. I compared it to other gear and I added up all the things I needed in an amp and this matched the criteria. I wish it came with wheels. It's best for beginners who wat a good practice and gigging amp.

I'm not fully sure that I would use it at a gig without a back up as I haven't properely gigged before and especially at my first proper gig I would want some reasurance. So far my amp has not broken down. But I have only had it two weeks, so after time I cannot determine what will happen. but so far it has been ok.

I'm not sure what year the amp was made in, but it is in exelent condition. Not a mark on it. When I got it the first thing I did was experiment with the styles. Distortion, Clean and all the effects. Reverb, delay, chorus and flange. After I had played around for a good few hours, I settled down and started playing some proper stuff. It came with a distortion foot switch so I was able to change channel at will. You started with some simple stuff, then realising the power of it switched to full distortion and tried some heavier stuff. There aren't any other features I wish this had. It has just enough power for me, as I haven't been playing long and is a good size for practice with all the effects I will need until I improve. Ok ok if I had to choose an effect I could have, I would have some sound bending effects like you can get on some footswitches. But that's all.