MG30DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Marshall: MG30DFX

Purchased from: EBGB (Eeebee GeeBee)

I initailly used the amp with a Yamaha ERG121 with standard chinese crap and the amp did well to make it sound half decent. But after playing guitar for a year and a half I upgraded to the Epiphone Les Paul Cutom. The amp did welland still makes it sound great at low levels through my Korg AX1500G. However the in-built distortion isn't too great. I never use it for one sole reason, my pedal is better. Also It has difficulty working at times! the clean channel is fine yet being a solid state can be a little too crisp for my liking of hard rocky metal. Again my pedal helps.

This amp is quite good alround. Blues stay well away becasue you will not achive your style unless you rewire it. The best distortion I can achive is with evbery knob turned up (not the volume tho) then it sounds full and powerful, if you try to tinker it always seems as if it's missing something. My conclusion is this amp is great for begginers or people with decent effects units/pedals. It's great for practicing in your room or practicing wioth a band at gigs, forget about it! What do you expect from 30 watts anyway!

So far it has never let me down. It has just always worked. The channel switching is very tempremental but thiscan be due to an unnofficial footswitch. The DFX are alright but can be a little strong even turned down. I never use anything but the reverb, again my pedal makes up for it. Like I said before I personally have never gigged it but I do know a band that does use one and the guitarist is never pleased with it (but his a whingy little tit.)

I know that this is one of the new breed of Marshall's solid states but unsure of it's actual year. I purchased this in the winter of 2002 and had only been playing guitar for a few months. It has the standard two channels: clean and overdrive. it has Four customisable DFX chorus, delay, reverb and flange. Initially when I got this amp I had no effects and no distortion pedal, just a button on my 10 watter. But the MG30DFX has a footswitch for the two channels. The DFX are not footswitchable. I'm not in a band so I dont gig this so it ahs never gone past half when the folks are out. I do know however that a band uses one and it gets quite crappy past 7 or 8.