MG30DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG30DFX

Purchased from: piedog.com

I play my Squier Bullet Strat through this amp which isn't amazing but it's good enough for my standard (been playing a year.) I play lots of punk riffs and powerchords which comes out pretty well in this amp (in fact your powerchords are something that will come out really well in this amp). I play it in my bedroom, and when playing with distortion the amp can make very loud feedback noises which can be annoying. Although this amp can get almost any tone you require, by wary of 'the blues tingled crunch' that the FDD (Frequency Dependancy Damping) apparently gives you. It is ineffectual, and gives you nothing whatsoever. If I could give this 3. 5 I would but I can't so I'll give it 4.

Overall for a beginner looking for a decent amp on a low budget, this will fit the bill. For a guitarist with lots of experience you will want more. I was going to get the 50DFX but pulled out when I realsied that if I had made a mistake, it would be another 50 down the drain. If it was stolen, I wouldn't get it again. I'd probably get a Peavey or find a better Marshall on ebay. Also the footswitch should be included.

I have never gigged but have been told on numerous occasions by my guitar teacher (he advised me to get this amp) that it is easily loud enough for small/medium halls. The amp has never broken down on me. You don't need to maintain this amp at all which is a huge bonus for me as I'm a very negligent person. I can't fault this amp for bedroom playing, but as I have never gigged with I can only give it four.

For a beginner, this amp has it all. It's a solid state amp, has got two channels, (clean and overdrive) and has four built in digital effects (Reverb, Chorus, Flange, and Delay. While fun to toy with at first, these soon start to become quite irratating. This amp can be quite versatile, the distortion channel is good for punk/rock riffs. You can play with the overdrive knobs for hours, there are a large amounts of tones you can achieve. It has 30 Watts of power, although the distortion channel seems to scream and crackle at anything over a quarter volume, particulary with a high gain setting. There is a Cd input, which I play my Cd's through, and a headphones jack and emulated line out. I use the line out frequently for recording, but too use it I'd advise getting a jack socket splitter, they're really cheap. A footswitch is also available for the amp (30?) but I don't have it.