MG30DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Marshall: MG30DFX

Purchased from: Giggear.com

At the moment I have only been playing almost a year so I use an AXL Strat with 2 coil single pickups and it sounds ok on this amp although I find when you play clean it does sound rather tangy. This guitar is ok for the punkish sort of stuff and some solos as it's got a nice sharp sound on distortion but I wouldn't recomend it for clean songs. I find aswell that I get alot of buzzing witch really does get annoying when your trying to solo so not the best of guitars really. The amp I find (dunno if anyone else would agree) is on the effects it has this effect where it sounds oldish and suits sanitarium by Metallica well at the intro to the song. The clean is ok I guess, not brilliant but good for me and is better than distortion at low levels as you don't loose any good sound. I think the distortion on this amp is not mega heavy but its in between so does suit punk and emo quite well and if you wanted to play songs that needed only a lil bit of distortion then this amps for you!

I play mainly metal and some punk. With the metal this amp is not really for you unless you use a distortion pedal but with the punk and emo I guess you could pro get away with it. I have been playing for almost a year now and I own a lil Ibanez amp and a footswitch for this amp witch is cool and helpfull. I wish I could of asked if the distortion would cope with metal and if its dependable for a gig. If this amp was stolen I wouldn't get another one to replace it, I would pro get a Messa Boogie amp as I heard they are quite good for metal. The big thing I hate about this amp is the fact the distortion isn't how I would love it to be and does cut out so if I was doing a big gig no way would I use this amp! The thing I love about this amp is the fact you can make it sound a little jumpy and old with the effects but thats just about it. My fav feature is the oldie effect. I didn't really compare this amp to any others because they where either too much or bigger than I wanted and I haven't been playing all that long. I chose this amp because then I could use it in little gigs that I do and use the on board effects. The only thing I wish this amp had was better distortion that didn't cut out!

I couldn't depend on this amp all of the time as sometimes it goes really quiet and you have to bang it to get it back to normal so if I was giging I wouldn't use this amp but maybe if it was a smaller gig then maybe but I would have to defo have a backup as it's not a very dependable amp. It hasn't really ever broken down for me but does tend to loose the distortion totally and not come back untill you hit it but if you look after it it should be fine.

I don't know where this amp was made in or was it korean? I play punkish and metal so Yellowcard sorta stuff to Metallica but I do strongly reccomend that if you play alot of heavy metal then use a distortion pedal because otherwise it does sound pretty crap! It has 2 channels, a single footswitch input, CD input, headphones port and 4 on board effects. The effects aren't that great but they sound ok when there low. The features I wish this amp had would be better distortion as I find when I play metal you have to have the volume up quite alot to get the full use of it. I use this amp a little at home and I have used it in a little hall at a gig I did and it sounds ok there as we where playing punkish stuff and the volume was quite high so I had no problem with the distortion.