MG30DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 3.5 Poor
Marshall: MG30DFX

I am playing a Maverick F-1 through this amp and I play mostly rock and metal but I dabble in the other styles. This amp does nothing justice! Firstly it is a solid state and solid state amps should be avoided at all costs. The clean channel is very small with its sound but it is just bearable with a tad of chorus and the fdd switch out. The overdrive channel is shit, wait it's less than shit. It is almost impossible to get any tone or any good sound at all from it. The overdrive is really weak and murky and the contour dial just exaggerates this. When I used this at a band practice my other guitarist had his 50watt amp on about 4 and I had the Marshall at 10 with my mt-2 on full and I was drowned out like a drop in an ocean. This amp is a piece of crap!

My over all impression when I opened the box to this amp was "it's a Marshall so it's got to be kind of good" but after about 2 hours I was thoroughly convinced that no one should ever buy this amp. Marshall are gods of the amplifiers but they fell seriously short of that title with the whole mg series. The 100HDFX/DFX and the 250DFX were the only two with a half decent sound. If it were lost or stolen I would laugh because the f--ker who stole it did me a favour and put in all that effort for the shittest amp around.

When I was given this amp about 2 years ago I thought yes! It's a Marshall; it will be reliable and have a good sound. 3 weeks after I got it, the power started to cut out. After many hours of labour and frantic exploration of the innards of this amp I discovered from forums that the connection from the cable to the amp had been badly done on a huge amount of them. So after fixing the problem it happened again 2 months later! I would never use this amp for a gig, for two reasons: it sounds shit and it probably wouldn't last more than a few seconds on stage.

This is a cheap Marshall solid state 30watt amplifier with 2 channels. It has foot switchable channels; the clean channel has volume, bass and treble. The overdrive channel has gain, bass, contour, treble, and volume. the are 4 built in digital effects which are, reverb, delay, chorus and flange it has I dial to change the effect type and one for the overall level. It also has a "Frequency Dependant Dampening (FDD)" switch. there is an emulated line out and a CD player input as well. One 10" speaker. The features make this look like a really good amp but you'd be wrong!