MG30DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Marshall: MG30DFX

Purchased from: Perents

I'm using it with Squier Stratocaster (ok, not so great), but even that isn't an excues for the sheer awfulness of this amp. The cleans are muddy and can distort, but with careful EQing you can get a decent sound. The OD however, is absoulutely terrible. It's fizzy, fuzzy, weak, no sustain, harsh and just plain bad. It doesn't really suit any styles becuase it's so bad.

I play classic rock, blues, indie, punk and alternative and this is probably about the amps territory, but it desn't do it well. I have been playing 3 years now, and have since upgraded to a Peavey Valve King, which isn't great but it's a big step up. If it were stolen or lost I'd think "oh well". Stay away fomr this amp! Just because it has the famous curly logo on the front is no guarantee it's good. In fact, many are angry at Marshall for producing such a poor amp knowing it will sell just because it has the Marshall logo on the front, for they have sold they're soul. There are much better options for the price range, the obvious options being the Vox Valvetronix and the Roland Cube.

Apparently, MGs are "notoriously unrelable" but I can say that my amp has never broken down, and it was second hand. The cable going to the speakers have become disconnected a few times but all you have to do is put them on again so that's no problem. Some times I wish it would break though. I would gig without a backup, but if you ever catch me gigging with it, slap me.

The MG30DFX is two channels clean and OD, it has four effects, Reverb, Delay, Chorus and Flange. You can only use one effect at once and only adjust one paremeter for each effect. I don't use these becuase there is no way of switching them on and off. I don't use the OD either, frankly because it sounds bad. I use a pedal instead. It also has a headphone jack and a CD IN ack. No FX loop. It is 30 watts, but as SS amps have a tendancy to sound worse at high volumes, this is barely enough for band a practice. I have used at small gigs but like I said it sounds worse at high volumes so I wouldn't reccomend it. Now, I only use it for a band practice in an attic where I can't take my bigger amp. It is ok for features but whether they are good enough to use is another question.

xlukex
    i use an epiphone g400 through this amp and sounds great considering it was only 80 quid!!!
    drol_52
    I got one for christmas...nothing wrong with it at all, the overdrive is awesome, but the clean channel is very limited, and it's actually nice and loud, and it's good for plugging ipods etc into to play along, i'm very happy with mine
    TMAW
    Get the Roland, my friends one actually conked out during an orchestral concert thingy and he had to switch mid song
    Imperial
    I've had one since Labor Day 2006 and havent had any problems with it. It's actually a decent amp, just not really up to performance levels with drums.
    riffmasterjosh
    This amp hasn't given me that many problems. for the price i think its a good reliable marshall. I've had it for about two years and no major problems. The effects could be better though.
    sajuuk
    Its a pretty decent amp but I'd have to agree with a lot of the nay sayers that its not as good as some other amps around the same price range, I'm selling mine and replacing it with a VOX 30 watt
    Libertine15
    i have a 15 watt spider 2 and it really annoys me how it dosent have a bit for a footswitch i was considering getting this amp but im not sure which is better marshall 30 dfx or spider 2 30?