MG30DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG30DFX

I play a 2003 Epi G-400 with lots of pickup and electronics modifications. When I got it I played a lot of rock and alt. but since then I've gotten more into jazz and blues and the clean channel on the amp isn't well suited to such things. The distortion channel is perfect, fat, thick, very adjustable, and very clear. It's pretty well definied at low volume so you don't have to blow your eardrums to get great sound. The distortion is well suited to modern rock applications, but the contour dial allows you to turn the distortion from thick, classic Marshall to brutal metal crunch.

In the end, this amp wasn't a good match for me, so I'm selling it in favor of a Fender Hot Rod or a Vox AC15. It's great for beginner rockers and it's mad cheap for the label it's coming from. It's not as cool as an Orange and not as versatile as a Fender but if you love Marshall, this is the bedroom amp for you.

It's a very reliable and durable amp. I took it to college and it served as a seat, lamppost, cabinet amoung other things when it wasn't being used for it's primary purpose, and it still sounds and looks Brand New. It's held together very well, and it's pretty light so it's portable, sorta.

My MG30DFX was Brand New when I bought it from guitar center, which was late summer 06. It's got a clean and overdrive channels, both of which are very unique. The overdrive is classic Marshall, and is probably the slickest tone you can get with a solid state amp. The clean tone isn't well suited to jazz or blues, so take notice. The digital effects are operated thru 2 knobs, one to select the combonation of effects and another for the amount of effect. The effects are pretty decent overall, the reverb is very natural.