MG30DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Marshall: MG30DFX

I play a Fender Stratocaster MIM through a Boss ME50 and this amp. As I said before, I was satisfied in the beginning. When at low volumes and with a little bit of tweaking, I can get some really nice sounds. However, when I crank it up to 5 or higher, it doesn't give me the power, volume and tone I want. The clean channel is OK. It keeps the nice strat sound that I was looking for (I bought this amp first, then the Strat). I barely use the distortion channel. It's too noisy (even when my pickup Switch is in the 2 and 4 positions) and the tone is too muddy. It doesn't give me a really brutal, hi-gain sound neither. I'd rather use the distortion effects on my ME50.

If you play in your bedroom only, if you never gig and if you're a beginning guitarist, this amp is quite nice. However, you can get much better amps for the same amount of money (Vox AD30, Roland Cube 30W). I was satisfied with this amp, and if I didn't progress in my playing, I'd still be. However, I'm looking for a certain tone that this amp will never produce.

I've gigged with it. It has never broken down on any occasion, even although I did treat it roughly at times. If I'd only look at reliability, I'd always gig with it as I don't think I'd need a backup. However, it doesn't get louder after you turned the volume knob up to 6/7.

This solid state amplifier features two channels, clean and overdrive. You can buy a separate foot switch which allows you to switch between these channels. However, I found the foot switch a bit lacking. I really had to press it hard to achieve any effect at all. It has your usual input jack, a CD in jack and a emulated line out/headphone jack. It has a few digital effects, which are quite nice to play around with: reverb, chorus, flanger and delay. It's a quite reliable amp. I've dropped it a few times and gigged with it. When I just bought this one, I was satisfied. However, now that I'm playing more and more gigs I found the sound lacking.

miker3030
    i had one it sucked the louder you turned it up the shityer it sounded thats how you can tell on low volume is the amp sounds good its a crappy amp if i t sounds bad on low volume its a good amp because it will sound good on high volume + im in a band 30 watts is not going to cut it thats why i went with a fender fm65r
    metallirock08
    This is a pretty sweet amp, marshall can do better, though. It has a decent distortion tone, my contour is set to about 12-ish-1 o'clock. Not that bad, but overall, its ok.