MG30DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Marshall: MG30DFX

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

I'm using it with a guitar with two humbuckers. The amp sounds awful on overdrive, no matter how much you tweak about with it. One thing I can say is you get good variation from say 0-10 bass and similar, but that's the only plus side. The amp sounds good on clean though. This amp used to sound quite good, until I took it back to the music shop for a repair(more on this is the next section) and they fixed the Contour(mid) control. Before it was fixed, it did nothing at all save for cut the volume out when turned past 9. However, the amp sounded good, and I wondered why everyone hee on UG hated MGs, then it got fixed, it sounded truly awful. It sounded constantly "scooped" and scooped badly as well. It now sounds very flat and thrashy/tacky when on OD. I see why no-one likes them now!! Apparently this amp sounds even worse when turned up, but I haven't played it at past 5 yet. The gain is not very good, it doesn't provide much distortion at all.

This truly is an awful amp. Marshall should be ashamed of themsleves for producing something so pathetic. I wish I had researched this product before buying, but I suppose I've learnt my lesson for impulse buying. If it were lost or stolen, I would celebrate by holding a large house party, and I would not buy another ne, nor venture more than 3 feet near to one. I love the look of it? It looks good, but that's all that is good about it. An awful amp.

This amp has no reliability at all! The volume cuts out and goes to about half of what it should be very often, and for no reason. You can just be playing and it will cut out!! Aside from being poorly manufactured and a disgrace, it's also really annoying. The Contour control was also bust, turning it from 0-9 did absolutely nothing, past 9 and it would do it's intended job but it would cut the volume as it does randomly. I got this fixed, which then made the amp sound awful, but it didn't fix the random volume cut outs.

The amp was made fairly recently. The amp is not very versatile, as the overdrive channel sounds awful, hence it's difficult to make it sound good, let alone emulate many different styles. It has 2 channels, OD and clean, which are footswitchable. It has a headphone jack and line out, as well as CD in for playing along to tracks. It has digital effects, delay, reverb, chorus and flanger, which have adjustable levels. These effects work well, unlike the rest of the amp. The amp would be ok for home practice if you don't mind making your guitar sound like a cat on a railway. It is solidstate.

tomyjeon
    This amp isn't great, but 100 times better than Frontman 15G's (shiver).
    kempo1222
    ok it seems like ur all saying all of urs ****ing broke down and ur complaining about it u just probably got shit luck and the amp is great i own it im a intermediate player its ****ing fine i got it off eBay the sound perfect the effects are excellent and it is really loud. if ur saying u got bad sound try changing the knobs to a recommended setting. its a good amp