MG30DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Marshall: MG30DFX

Purchased from: Dogfunk

I use this with an Ibanez RG350DX, I know this isn't an amazing guitar but it's even worse when paired with this amp. I play a wide range of styles, blues to metal and this amp can handle none of them well. There is no light overdrive for dirty blues as it goes from clean to way too distorted, way too fast. It can't handle rock as this amp has no tone, and it can't handle metal because although the distortion sounds heavy, it lasts about 2 seconds and then dies, it's hard to explain and painful to hear. This amp does sound moderatly better at higher volumes, but it's then it's too loud for bedroom practice, and you just shouldn't gig with this or even use it for band practice.

Marshall has fallen, a long way, I nearly lost faith in them, but I bought a JCM900 and now I see what's happened, they have attempted to emulate their classic tube sound with these and failed horribly. My main problem is they continue to make them, and use Zakk wylde and Kerry King to sell them to unsuspecting budding guitarists. Don't buy this amp, buy a small Laney tube combo, they are affordable and perfect for bedroom practice.

Once again I cannot fault this as it has never let me down, even though I dearly wish it would, to the question, 'Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup?' I simply wouldn't gig with it, I'd rather play unplugged and jump around stage like a retard then try and look professional with an MG, it makes me sick that some ppl buy the halfstack version of this.

This is a 30w solid state amp with a 10 inch speaker and 2 channels, clean and overdrive. The clean has treble, bass and volume. The OD channel has treble, bass, contour, gain, and volume. It also has some FX, such as reverb, chorus, flange and phaser. Finally there is an FDD switch, which to this day I have yet to find a use for. There are plenty of features to play with, except middle, which, call me crazy, I like to be able to adjust.

hugh20
    i'm in a band and am thinking about this amp, there are lots of mixed reviews says its good or bad, can it rise above a drumkit in a band?
    kas_248
    my god this site is meant to be a place where potential buyers come to double-check stuff. Now im more confused than chris crockers sexuality...argh..!! Is it good or not?... ive been playin for 3 years..i play heaps oftool and audioslave, rage, disturbed. Mostly practice but some small gigs. Worth buying for $75US?
    LoveIsHell
    soupdragon
    Ok, obviously this amp has good and bad points. I'm lucky (touch wood) and mine is a good amp. I've been playing 3 years and i find it's probably best for metal or heavy rock. Not really my style, but it suits me fine. I got it 4 months ago, no problems yet. I don't really think you can go wrong with a Marshall.
    SG310user
    I reckon the MG30 is a pretty good amp for Either practicing or very small audience gigs. It's got some good FX when good and it can get a nice metal/screamo sound into it but does really prefer rock. I play it as a practice amp and its fairly good with the weight issue ,nowdays it's not 11kg's but around 8-9. Good price for what it is though.
    Imperial
    gnrfreek wrote: wht is the model of the footswitch that works with this amp?
    The PED801 works with it. It just came in the mail today and really helps. I don't get what's with all the trashing of this amp. Sure it's not great, but it's not bad either. It does the job and i've had mine almost a year and a half and it's fine.
    stephen_rettie
    LoveIsHell wrote: I play this amp on my ESP LTD K-500, and it sounds great, im very surprised at some of the extreme negative comments. I mean c'mon its Marshall, a very well respected brand as used by metal bands like metallica and slayer. With a good guitar this amp is great.
    'c'mon its a marshall' wow, thats great man, what you dont realise is the big bands dont use mgs (no matter what zakk or kerry say) hey use good moarshalls, tube marshalls