MG30DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG30DFX

Purchased from: Guitar Base

I use my Epiphone Les Paul Standard equiped with a set of hot production line pickups through Boss ME 20 (a very worthy purchase I might add) The gain beign the main thing I jump to is suited for classic rock, blues and almost anyhting but metal. This means that if you are a metal head without a distortion pedal then look somwhere else for ball busting gain. However is classic and contempory rock is your thing then dial the gain mid way and you have instant AC/DC style overdrive. Lower it a little and you get a warm overdrive sound but as you climb the gain then it does little to affect the distortion level. The controls are decent enoguh so you can wrestle most rockin tones out of it. The clean is nice and punchy but not life changing. I play metal and rock so witha little bit of extra oomph from my pedal this amp is great for me. The effects are pretty descent aswell although the flanger is somewhat lacking in thickness.

Overall this is a great amp, not very versatile but that's why god invented pedals, although if it were stolen then I would try another amp out and buy more carfully to suit my taste. But for all you rockers out there then this is top notch practice and small gig amp for your money.

People are always whining about this amp breaking down and I've gigged with this amp once and it took a drunken kicking form the band and a rowdy crowd member and it's still going strong. I'm not heavy handed but I don't pussy around with the amp. It's always plugged in and ready to go when ever. I would deffinatly gig without a backup.

This mid size solid state combo amp has 2 channels; clean and overdrive. For the clean there are 3 controls; volume, treble and bass (there is space for more controls I such as middle). The overdrive has 5; gain, contour, bass treble and of course volume. The is also an easy to use effects panel with chorous, flanger, delay adn reverb and a fdd Switch. I use this amp for home pratice and small jams with my mates. Overall I say apart from the lack of an included footswitch this amp is easy dial in controls and suits many styles with ease.

Chica
    I agree with the last guy I have a Frontman and MG both work fine had them for 2 years now sound alright for a practice amp, but nothing compared to my VOX ad15vt
    |\puto_rodas/|
    hugh20 wrote: i'm in a band and am thinking about this amp, there are lots of mixed reviews says its good or bad, can it rise above a drumkit in a band?
    Im not so sure, youd need a thing that at least had 40W, and then youre right to go, not with 30W Marshall! Rock On Dude! |m|
    philipp122
    toasted_lemming wrote: Yeah, mine's fine, I've had it for like 3 years and absolutely thrash it (To the point of playing bass through it live!) Ok, the distort channel has an odd habit of going clean on you, and the footswitch is a cheaply made, fragile peice of shit, but i use a multi effects so it doesnt bother me. I've played numerous gigs on it (on guitar and bass) and can get useable tones out of it on both, it gives the bass a nice lift to make it audiable. For guitar it doesnt offer great tones on its own, but because the initial sound is so bland it gives you a nice 'blank canvas' for multi effects.
    That's a very good point. While the tone and versitality aren't that bad, they're just average, nothing special. But combined with quality pedals, the amp is great!
    philipp122
    Hey, what's up with evryone saying that the clean channel sounds bad? IT doesn't sound bad at all, it just doesn't have anything to it. It's a basic, flat soun, great for use with pedals. I don't get how you can listen to it and say that it sounds bad... just because it doesn't have a singing blues tone or twangy punch doesn't mean it's BAD, it just needs assistance from pedals to get a good sound. At least it doesn't crackle, sound overly-trebly, or have a horrible tone. It's just a basc, flat, clean sound that you can use as a base tone to add effects over to get an amazing tone. Instead of bashing the amp, try spending a few minutes actually figuring out how to get a proper tone instead of saying how horrible it is without even trying.