MG30DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG30DFX

I use a Fender Squier Stratocaster 22-Fret with single coils, and I've also played an Epiphone Les Paul and Explorer through the amp with humbuckers. For all of these guitars it's given great sounds on both channels. For the clean channel with the Strat and the single coils, the clean channel was a bit weak, but I have a feeling it's a problem with that pickup because the middle and bridge pickups worked incredible, and both humbuckers also worked great. The overdrive channel is strong and brutal with any kind of pickup. Just crank the gain up and you've got yourself that great Marshall distortion, no matter what guitar it is. The amp gets a bit noisy on the overdrive channel with high volume and full gain, but you'll only have problems like that if you play things like metal with lots of distortion. The clean channel gets no buzz or unwanted distortion at high volumes. You can get an array of sounds out of it, and you can tweak it a lot so you'll always be pleased with the sound.

I play lots of The Raconteurs and The White Stripes, and I can get a great sound like Jack White's out of it. I play a decent amount of My Chemical Romance and AC/DC and I can get a dead-on sound for both bands. I've been playing for two years and I have learned quite a bit about amps and guitars and I know this is something good. When I went to the store to look for a new amp, I tried a Fender Frontman 15R and a Raven RG60, which were both very good amps, but then I saw this amp. It mainly caught my eye because it was the limited-edition purple one, and I saw that it was Marshall (which I am a big fan of) and had to play it. I was stunned when I played it that it sounded so great that I had to get it. I run an original Dunlop Wah-Wah and a DigiTech Whammy IV pedal through the amp and it sounds incredible. If this thing was stolen or lost I'd probably be very, very sad, and I'd instantly go out and buy it again. I love everything about it. If you need an amp that you can practice and play small gigs with but not burn holes in your pockets, this amp's for you.

I've had this amp for a month or so and I've played it a lot, sometimes on high volume, and it's been the greatest amp ever. I've had no problems with anything what'soever. It's fallen over, had cords ripped out of it, water spilled in it, lots of things, and it doesn't have a scratch or sound defects. I would definately gig with this amp without a backup anyday.

This solid state amp was made in 2003. The versatile amp can easily handle anything from jazz, blues, rock, metal, you name it. There are two channels, clean and overdrive, which you can switch by pushing a button on the amp, or by using a footswitch. The clean channel allows for adding trebble and bass, and the overdrive channel allows for adding gain (obviously), bass, contour and trebble. It also features an Emulated Line Out/Headphones jack and a CD In jack so you can jam to your favorite tunes. The four effects on the amp (reverb, delay, chorus, and flange) are of great quality and allow tweaking the speed and level of the effect. It's lightweight, making it a great amp to travel with, yet it can hold it's own against a band, despite the size. A helpful feature it has is the FDD (Frequency Dependent Damping) Switch that mimics the way a tube amp interacts with the speaker that adds width and depth to the sound. I only wish that it had a jack to connect it to cabinets so I can use it on gigs and blast it's awesome sound!

drol_52
    well my mg30 just started cutting out on me, 2 years old, getting a valveking soon anyway though, so dont really care the crappy thing
    ivri
    Got a Vox AD100VT after selling my P.O.S. Man, the difference is totally night and day. I'm not talking volume-wise either. I'm not trying to compare 100w to 30w. The tone from the Vox just tramples the living sh!t out of the Marshall. And I mean that in a bad way.
    KeithNC
    Okay.... Roland Cube 30x, Vox Valvetronix 30, Marshall MG30DFX, Line 6 Spider III 30, or the Orange Crush 30r?
    Hayden 0wnz
    i use this at skwl for music lessons - the sound is amazing, some twats at the school kick it and stuff and still its amazing, however it cant be heard over the drums - its good to play backstage/practice but i dont think this is giggable
    Midget Hamster
    I only read the first post, and found it very helpful.. My brother has this one. His also breaks down often. We have fixed it, but it continues to break down. He have not send it to reparation yet, he usually punches it, when it gets annoying, and yes, it does help ;P For 5 minutes or so...