MG30DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Marshall: MG30DFX

I use a Dean ML X with dual humbuckers. When I first got this amp (it was my first amp) I was more than happy with the gain and tone produced by it. However, after a while I noticed that the amp can't hold high notes at all, they either go crackly, or make it sound like a weak flanger effect is being used (and no, I did not have the flanger effect on at the time.) The gain is extremely weak, and the amount of gain does not change at all between 7 and 10. I barely use the clean channel, but it doesn't seem as good as it should be. For The Music I play (thrash metal, heavy metal, death metal) this amp doesn't make the cut.

Overall I'm somewhat happy with this amp. It suited my needs as a beginner guitarist, and I would recommend it to beginners, as long as they can get it cheap. If it were stolen, I'd save up and buy a tube combo, maybe one of the AVT series. My favourite feature would probably be the delay effect. It provides me countless hours of fun, and is probably the most decent feature on the amp.

I obviously would not gig with this amp. Even if it was powerful enough for a small gig, I wouldn't trust it. I've had it cut out numerous times while playing, and it seems to be happening more often lately. The contour knob fell off completely, which I had to put back on (not a big thing, but still a minor inconvenience.) It hasn't ever completely broken down, but play it for more than an hour at a time and it'll slowly lose sound quality, and eventually stop giving any sound at all. If, and when, this happens, just turn it on and off.

The MG30DFX's features are decent. It has two channels (clean and Drive, obviously) but doesn't come with a footswitch. The clean channel has volume, treble and bass settings, and the Drive channel has gain, contour, treble, bass and volume settings. This amp has an 'FDD' setting, which seems to make minimal difference to the tone, but enhances it to a small extent. It also has in built digital effects. They're a bit of fun to play around with, but I wouldn't use them seriously for recording or gigging (not that I would gig with this amp anyway.)

timmy1
    i had one of these amps and to be honest its the best small amp i have ever had, yes you don't get the sound you want all the time but its brilliant especially with the optional pedal as without it its very annoying
    cdh473
    I use my MG30DFX w/ a Zoom G2, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, and RG350EX (in that order). It has a great sound, I haven't had any problems yet(3rd year of use).
    RTL1984
    Libertine15 wrote: i have a 15 watt spider 2 and it really annoys me how it dosent have a bit for a footswitch i was considering getting this amp but im not sure which is better marshall 30 dfx or spider 2 30?
    Just get a Roland Cube 30x its a very good amp and it will work for any style(rock,metal,country,blues...)