MG30DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 2 Junky
Marshall: MG30DFX

Purchased from: Private Sale

I'm using a mixture of a Gibson '77 Dot and a PRS Tremonti SE. They both sound mediocre through the Marshall. It's unbelievable. Every pickup is the same, crap tone. And it's not the guitars because I've tried them both with the MG100HDFX half stack and it's a great sound. The overdrive channel makes a constant noise, no other amp I've had does this, the clean channel, as said, is broken... When it worked, wasn't amazing. Distortion is rubbish.

What do I wish it had? Everything it doesn't - good tone, clean channel that works. If I had the choice of this amp and any other amp in a similar price range, I'd buy the other amp. It's dreadful. Get's extremely hot after around 10 mins of use and heatsink has been checked and no problems can be found, so God knows what's wrong. Dreadful amp. Don't buy it.

Can't rely on this amp, I wouldn't consider to use it at a gig even if I did have a backup. It's dreadful, a disgrace for Marshall in my opinion. It hasn't broken down, apart from the channels messing up. Not been negelected at all. Done everything you should: turn it off when plugging in/out and the like. It's still rubbish.

Features... ehhh... It's the worst choice I've made in my four years of guitar. It's got two channels, clean and overdrive... Both are less than average for me. Clean channel broke after 1 use and the distortion's on the way out and it's only 4 months old. If you play anything similar to Green Day/My Chemical Romance/Old Punk Rock, this is NOT the amp for you. It has terrible gain... Tones... You can get maybe one decent tone out of this, and even then it's not amazing.

MaggaraMarine
    stephen_rettie wrote: LoveIsHell wrote: I play this amp on my ESP LTD K-500, and it sounds great, im very surprised at some of the extreme negative comments. I mean c'mon its Marshall, a very well respected brand as used by metal bands like metallica and slayer. With a good guitar this amp is great. 'c'mon its a marshall' wow, thats great man, what you dont realise is the big bands dont use mgs (no matter what zakk or kerry say) hey use good moarshalls, tube marshalls
    + 1 Every brand has their bad products. Not every Marshall is good just because it's Marshall. And a good amp will sound good when played with not so good guitar but with a good guitar they will sound great. But I don't know, this isn't that bad amp, maybe overpriced and there are better amps around with the same price. So don't get fooled by the name but it does its job. Here's advice: Don't buy anything without trying it first. You are the one who decides if it sounds good or not, don't let people decide for you. If you like the sound of MG then it's OK, go buy it. But please compare it to something else before buying it!!!!
    PaltryPete
    I too have this amp. I've had it for about 18 months and I haven't had any trouble with it... Well it's not the best of all amps, but is worth starting out with.
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: This amp isn't as bad as everybody is telling in UG. But yeah there are better amps around. We have one in our band house and we had to play with it because the Engl head wasn't plugged and our guitarist said whattaheck, he's gonna play through the crappier amp.
    Oh, and forgot to mention, our guitarist plugged a delay in front of it and the amp started humming a lot, especially with OD channel. With clean you could notice the hum but it didn't disturb. That was annoying because we needed the delay for the songs but it hummed even when bypassed. I don't know what was wrong with it if it was the cable our guitarist used or the pedal or the amp.
    BillR87
    Got one myself a few years back and it was good back then but the problem is that the distortion deteriates real easily in a short amount of time I only really recommend it for its clean but I use pedals these days so a good clean is all I need out of it but yeah if your not a pedal based guitarist then DONT get this amp coz its distortion just doesnt last ae and as many others have already said you can get wayy better value for this price in other amps
    Dingle87
    Marshall mg30dfx brought brand new in 2003 never had a problem with it, gigged, played on full bore, dropped booted about. I have ragged the bol***ks out of it and it is still as good now as it was 8 years ago.
    Trobe78
    Had this amp for 4 years, did me fine as I was learning but now I need something a better for gigging with. If you are starting then its great but if you do anything live or recording then stay away from it.