MG30DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Marshall: MG30DFX

Purchased from: Fretz

I used this amp exclusive with humbucker pickups, specifically my PRS SE Jack Tremonti. I like rock and blues, and when it worked this amp was OK, especially when using the clean channel with a distortion pedal. The clean channel starts to clip at about 6.5, and it's a nasty sound, making this amp useless for gigging really, despite the 30W. I really don't like the sound of the Overdrive channel at all, I never really used it, it's more a fuzz than what I think of as overdrive. The amp is also pretty quiet.

Stay away from this amp unless you like frustration and wasting money.

I would never depend on this amp. It's had problems ever since I bought it. The amp has spent most of its life safe and warm in my front room, and still it breaks down. What happens is that the volume starts getting louder then softer, unpredictably, as the amp warms up. You then pay 40 to get it fixed, it lasts for 6 months, then comes back again. What a waste of money. I regret buying it, very much.

- 30 watts - Twin footswitchable channels - Clean & Overdrive - Independent tone controls for Bass & Treble on each channel - Contour Control for dramatic mid sweep and 'scooping' - Emulated Line Out jack and Headphone jack - CD input which allows you to play along to your favourite discs - Built-in Digital Effects - Reverb, Chorus, Flange and Delay - 10" custom-voiced speaker - FDD (Frequency Dependent Damping)

rv_phoenix
    It's a Marshall, but not a good one. The MG series is bad in its entirety. It's cheap and it's made to cheat people. Not only because of its infamous digital effects, but also because of its cheap components and mediocre speaker. 30W of SS power mean only 6-7W of an all-tube. And emulated sounds are like sex on the telephone. I think the ratings are fully deserved by the worst Marshall ever made.
    jetwash69
    I unplugged the speaker from the amp in mine. I installed a jack on the back and wired it to the speaker. Now I use it as a cab for my Marshall tube head at venues where it's not worth/too crowded to bring my 4x12 cab. I does alright in that capacity. I keep the volume at 3 or lower with the 100watt head. 3 is too loud for most venues. Using the built in amp makes it sound like mud, even when running MFX through the clean channel, regardless of EQ settings.