MG30DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Marshall: MG30DFX

Purchased from: Local Musician

This solid-state amp got 2 channels clean and overdrive. It's got 4 effects reverb, chorus, flanger, and delay, It also has a FDD switch, foot switch jack, CD in jack, and emulated line out & headphone jack. All the features on this amp are pretty decent you can easily record guitar parts with the line out jack. Also with the FDD switch this amp kinda emulates a tube amp. I never used the CD in jack and I honesty don't know what that jack is used for. The effects on this amp are decent and can be used live or recording. Overall this amp offers a lot of cool features that can be used.

The clean channel is okay it's not great, but with some reverb the clean channel is decent. The overdrive channel is utter garbage it is so difficult to dial in a decent tone. Also there no knob that controls the mids, the knob they give you is called contour. It basically drains your tone and volume with this dirty saturation. I only play on the clean channel with a distortion pedal and a overdrive pedal for my dirty tone. I play all kinds of music, but for the most part I play metal and blues. Versatility wise this amp lacks a lot, but this amp is loud at 12 o'clock on both channels not as loud as a tube amp, but still loud. The effects are decent on the amp, however I just use pedals for effects.

Overall all if you are starting out and want a cheap amp this is not bad, but there are much better options out there. If you are seasoned musician avoid this amp.

This amp is very reliable and durable, I got this amp used and it still works today. I'm pretty rough with my gear and I have drop this amp so many times and it still turns on and everything. Because how durable this amp is there is one drawback this amp is really heavy for no reason. This amp has only one speaker and it weighs about 30 pounds. Because of the heaviness of the amp this will not topple over or anything it stays in place. This is a good back up amp if your main amp is out of commission, but to get the right sound you have to really dial it in.

When I got this amp it was my second year playing guitar, at the time I really didn't know what was good gear and bad gear. I had no idea what pedals were or what a tube amp was. Overall as a beginner at that time this amp did serve me well, but now I'm going into my fifth year and this amp really isn't cutting it. I was definitely ripped off when I got this amp and that is a fault on my part. With that money I spent on this amp I could have gone to much better options. Overall all this amp should be avoided.