MG30FX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG30FX

Price paid: € 235

Purchased from: Local shop

Clean channel is good, even better sometimes if used with some reverb / chorus. I am using a not expensive Ibanez but quite reliable and suited for metal too. Since I play mostly metal and metalcore, I wanted also a good distortion. And here comes the problem: distortion is way too light. Even with Overdrive 2 channel (the heaviest of the 4 channels) I can't manage to obtain a powerful distortion, I expected more from a >200 amplifier. Its bass is powerful and you can easily feel it, by the way you can turn it down if you want to obtain an harsher, less soft sound. I felt the reverb and flanger effects too light, even turned at maximum they aren't so much intense. Volume is not so powerful either, there are much louder amplifiers in its same power range. Maybe with overdrive or similar effects pedals you can obtain a good powerful distortion, but I didn't plan to buy all different kinds of pedals while there was the Peavey Vypyr 30W at the same price.

Good clean, organic sound, but bad distortion and few tone variety. I think if you play lighter music (jazz, blues, up to rock), you will like it, but if you want more distortion, heavier sound, I would go for a different amplifier. In fact, the day after I bought it and spent much time testing it, I was unsatisfied and decided that this amplifier wasn't for me. I returned to the shop and exchanged it with a Peavey Vypyr 30W and now I am happy, more variety of sounds and much more features. If you are a Marshall fan and don't play heavy music I guess you will like it, but its tones variety is quite limited, exspecially compared to the Peavey Vypyr, which can produce a wide amount of different sounds, being a good modelling amplifier. In the same range (30W, around 200) I think the Peavey Vypyr 30W, exspecially if you play metal and similar genres, is a better choice. But if you want a standard, sturdy and durable amplifier, without lots of effects and features for you unnecessary (or you already have all the pedals you need) then go for it.

In the only day I've been testing it, it seemed quite durable, not many bells & whistles, covered back, robust knobs. I feel it can last for long, seems quite sturdy.

The MG FX series have been developed by Marshall and released in 2009, in order to replace the older MG DFX series. It has got 4 selectable and programmable channels, organized in 2 buttons. Left button is used to Switch between: -Clean (green light) -Crunch (red light) Right button is used for: -Overdrive 1 (green light, less heavy sound) -Overdrive 2 (red light, heaviest sound) This amplifier has got also 5 effects: - An independent reverb, with its own knob; - Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Delay, on same knob so it is not possible to use more then one of them at same time. The delay interval can be adjusted using the Tap button. Each channel can be used in manual mode, or you can adjust your settings and save them with Store button (preset mode). Presets will record all knobs positions except Master Volume knob, which value is not changed among presets. So since you have 4 channels, you can store 4 differents presets, so you can configure each channel with the sound you like most. It has got a jack input, an MP3 line in, a headphones line, and a foot controller input, that can be used with the MG Footcontroller (not included). This amplifier is not so loud being a 30W, volume range is perfect for home use but I don't think it is able to reach high volumes compared to other 30W amplifiers.

seemeel
    derpdragon wrote: It happens when you make the best amps in the world.
    While I agree Marshall Amps are the best in the world, I DON'T include the MG series in that list... the MG series are trash.
    lefty01
    LMAO!
    baldeaguirre
    I had an Marshall MG30DFX a few months ago, but I sold to one of my friends. Because I didn't was pleased with the sound of this amplifier. I was rather bought an Fender Frontman 65 R and I'm satisfied with the sound now! If you don't want an amplifier with a lot of effects, you should buy an any Fender Frontman series. This amplifier can be perfectly combined with pedal effects, and the quality sound is awesome! Also I'm agree with derpdragon!
    seemeel
    baldeaguirre wrote: I was rather bought an Fender Frontman 65 R and I'm satisfied with the sound now! If you don't want an amplifier with a lot of effects, you should buy an any Fender Frontman series.
    Dude, those amps fcuking suck balls. The Peavey is better, and the Roland Cube 30X is the best of the lot.
    Viotto
    Emmanuel200 wrote: It's like you're promoting the Peavey Vypyr!
    No mate in my review it wasn't my intention to promote the vypyr...my intention was to write about my experience. It is true what people here say on Peavey Vypyr's review, it is a great amplifier, I am very happy with it. And I wasn't happy with that Marshall, sound / variety is quite poor in my opinion.
    Echoplex
    How many times has this amp been reviewed? It seems like we get a new MG review once a week.
    Deep*Kick
    derpdragon wrote: It happens when you make the best amps in the world.
    Is there even a review of a dumble on here?
    RockRolla
    Emmanuel200 wrote: It's like you're promoting the Peavey Vypyr!
    Why not promote the Vypyr,Great Amp.