MG30FX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG30FX

Price paid: C$ 235

Purchased from: Long & McQuades

With this Marshall MG30FX I have three guitars: an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (stock pickups), an Ibanez RG370DX (EMG 81 + 85), and a Jay Tursor Strat Copy (Stock Pickups). For some reason I get a lot of feedback from this amp with all of my guitars except my Ibanez but I assume this is because it has EMG's in it. I've tried my other guitars with my other amps and I don't get nearly as much feedback. Surprisingly this amp actually suits my playing style. I play a limited few genres from Guns N' Roses to Metallica and that's about it; they all seem to sound relatively the same. I can easily tap into the sounds I play but if you are into some extreme Deathmetal or Trashmetal this amp is definately not for you. Its good for hard rock\heavy metal but not much else. Very limited versatility. The Clean Channel is horrible compared to other solid state amps around the price range. Crunch is surprisingly not that bad, you can get some neat sounds out of it. OD1 I don't use too much so I can't say anything bad and OD2 you get a really good Slash tone out of it.

This is actually a great practice amp for me. It fits my sound perfectly but I know for a fact it does not suit most other guitar players needs. For other amps I own a Fender Frontman 10G which used to be my practice amp until I got this and I own a Peavey Valveking 112 50 watt tubed which I use as my main amp. I wish I would of returned this one and got another before the warranty ran out just because of the clean channel issue I've been having but other than that no regrets. If it were stolen or lost I probably wouldn't replace it at all; it has no soft spot in my heart, it isn't great; its just an affordable solid state Marshall amp.

I've had this amp for almost two years now and the only problem I've had sofar was when on the clean channel when you strum your barre chords "hard" it cuts out on me. But the amp has been like that since new so I would say it could just be mine? Other than that this amp is build like a tank. Its been thrown into snowbanks; fell down stairs; survived a ride home sliding around in the back of my truck and much much more without any problems.

This amp was made in 2009 and considering all of the people bashing on this amp; I've been playing for 3 years now and I actually quite like it for its affordability for a Marshall, even if its Solid State. It has a 3 band EQ (Bass, Treble, and Middle), gain, reverb, Master Volume, Volume, and four build in FX; though the FX are rotten. This amp has 4 channels: Clean, Crunch, OD1, and OD2. To sum up the features I would have to say it has a decent amount for the price paid, but the quality brings it down a lot.

metfan1995
    its a great amp to play classic metal, like early slayer, metallica and megadeth. but for new sounds i recommend a nice quallity distortion pedal like a Boss Metal zone it sounds really nice. the clean is just amazing especially if you through a little bit of flange in it. the crunch is perfect for clssic rock bands like the who or led zeppelin. overall its a great amp to play!
    TomGale
    MadDOG4780
    Yeah I bought the Amp for 90 new with the foot pedal/tuner.. (Shop was going out of business) and I must say that the three drive channels aren't great they're no complete shit to be fair. The Clean however is Ok use a decent drive pedal with it and you could do a lot worse.
    rv_phoenix
    marshallrocks
    Agent51 wrote: How do you have a 70w MG30FX? The "30l in the model number is the amps wattage.....
    It means it is 70 watts peak power, like when you have the volume and gain all dimed out
    marshallrocks
    I somewhat agree about the useless effects, but If you know how to use the amp it is really good for the price. I think it does the best with reverb at 3/4 and just a little Delay. The other effects suck, mostly because they are weak and can't be programmed into the pedal. Overdrive could also be stronger, but the clean channel is nice. P.S. ignore the username
    rv_phoenix wrote: I am a Marshall fan ("was" is the more appropriate tense), and because I'm a fan I want to tell you I'm utterly disappointed by their new line. It seems that the riot that made the development team move to Blackstar has left deep traces into Marshall's policies. MG 30FX is a toy, not an amp. It doesn't have that "cranked" Marshall tone, nor the fabulous boost for which Marshall was famous in the '70s. Instead, they've installed a lot of useless stupid effects and pre-sets. Now why would anyone buy a Marshall and then seek for other amps in it? It is clear that the guys that run the company have decided to ignore the flock of fans and speculate company's name and fame, selling toys to kids who know nothing about music. It may be a way of doing business, but I'm sure it won't be paved in gold. Quite the contrary.
    Bmguy
    This is actually a very nice amp if you are going to play metal, hardcore, or anything that is heavy, but there are a few things I would recommend for use of this amp, one thing is that you should never use the effects knob because the effects that come with it sound really cheap, also if you want a very good distortion than you should buy a distortion box MXR is the best for this, and after some time has gone by and you think that your solos could sound better than buy an equelizer, it really helps and you can get a good MXR equelizer for about 80$, all in all great amp, and DON'T BE DISCOURAGED METAL LOVERS
    Explorer939
    Tom Gale said: I'm so pissed off I didn't read these reviews before buying this amp (lucky I got a refund)... but most people are right... the worst thing about this amp is the overdrive/gain/distortion... it sucks! The best I got out of it, with a BRAND new 2011 Epiphone Zakk Wylde with Active EMG 81 & 85 PUs was a heavy ACDC Sound. WTF! Marshall should be cranked and insane with distortion, with the ability to pull back and get the more classic rock sound... this amp FAILS HARD!
    Use a pedal-Digitech death metal
    MudkipRocker