MG50DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Marshall: MG50DFX

Purchased from: PMT

At the moment im using a fat strat, and I can get a really nice distorted tone out of it just with the amp or using a jackhammer. My style varies from quiet to heavy to quiet and so on through a song, so I need quite a good heavy tone, but also quite a good clean tone which is where it falls down. Its clean tone is very mediocre but usuable. I'd rather have a Fender amp and a pedal to be honest though.

If I had the money, I'd get a slightly larger Fender amp and sell my Marshall. It's just not brilliant, but it will do for now. I've only been playing for 3 years, so I could do with something more versatile to help me find my sound. Until then I can live with it. It does look quite sexy as well.

I haven't had any problems with it. There aren't any tubes to break or fail either. Mind you I have only had it for a couple of years. Time will tell...

For the price you do get a fair number of features. You can get a reasonable flange, chorus, delay and reverb out of it, but ideally, I'd have some dedicated pedals. There's a socket for a foot switch, which is always handy. the amp itslef is solid state, but it does have an fdd switch which is supposed to make it sound valvy. To be honest, it sounds pretty poor without it on and i dont really know why they botheredhaving the option to have it off. all the usual bass mid treble volume for the clan channel, but for the dirty channel instead of a mid you get a contour. Basically if you have it all the way to one side, it sounds very Acdc, whereas all the other way it sounds very fuzzy. its just about small enough to use as a practise amp but big enough to play small venues, and volume is never really a problem.