MG50DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50DFX

Purchased from: Local Guitar Retailer

And here is where the amp begins to come up short. Playing with a Schecter E/A, both channels (clean and overdrive) are, well, mediocre. Not what one would suspect from such an esteemed brand as Marshall. However, the fact remains that the clean sound can get a little muddy and the overdrive is just not very substantial. With lots of gain dialed in, the sound completely loses its personality and is accompanied by a fair amount of buzzing. Under the proper settings, this amp can achieve a decent crunch, warm blues tone, and a nice lead but none of which blow me away. The sound leaves a bit to be desired.

I've been playing for about two years, but I've been a busy little bee (online and hands-on research of gear, music theory, classical, technique refinement, etc etc) and I like to think that I know my stuff. I play mostly metal, classic rock, and blues and this amp does an ok job keeping up. The features are nice and it's very durable, but the fact of the matter is that the sound just isn't stellar. I use a Schecter E/A, so I can't blame the sound on a crappy guitar (even with the Duncan Designed stock pickups, the Schecter is still a very nice instrument). I bought this amp back when I knew little about guitar amplification and was drawn in by the big Marshall lettering on the front. Honestly, I can't recommend this amp. It's not bad, but why settle for mediocrity when you can get a lot more bang for your buck?

So far, this amp has proven to be a rock. Now, I've only had it for 6 months, but it shows no signs of wear and tear. I use it every day for (at the very least) an hour and my friends like to sit on it. But, (and there are a lot of buts with this amp) I've read a lot of negative reviews regarding the fan making excessive noise and dying and the sound blowing out. Of course, I have yet to experience any of this (and hope I never will).

This amp was made in 2004. It has a good number of controls to customize both the overdrive and clean channels and comes equipped with several digital effects. FDD, a feature that is supposed to replicate a tube amp, is built in (with an on/off switch), but really it's best to just leave it on all the time. I use my MG mostly for bedroom practice (and my friends like to use it as a chair - it's also very sturdy) so the power is more than adequate.