MG50DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50DFX

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

This amp cna get an ok distortion sound. If you crank it all the way. I play hardcore and classic rock with a tiny bit of punk. It suits me fine for my classic stuff, and gets by for my hardcore stuff. If I wanted to make it better, I would just buy a Boss pedal instead of getting a new amp. There's one problem with the distortion though. Whenever cranked up loud (which I need to get a good hardcore rock sound) it makes some buzzing. Not a lot, but not a little either. It's better than my old one (which was a Fender Frontman 25R) however I can live with it. The clean channel for me is fine, though I've heard stories from people about it being s--t.

Overall, it suits my style definetly, as I can get an ok distorted sound. I been playing a year and a bit, and this kills my old Fender amp. If it were lost or stolen, I would either buy it again, or get a line six, as my guitarist has one, and so far I like that one too. I guess I chose Marshall, because like many, it was the big brand name that drew me to it. I think its a good amp, despite it downs, it has its ups. If I were to add to it, it would definately be a distortion pedal, which might give me the right sound I'm looking for.

Even though I've had this for a week, I'de say it will last. I've heard stories of Marshall amps easily being blown (which my friend did) but I've cranked up the volume several times to play with my band, and besides a little buzzing, it was fine. I probably wouldn't gig with it, as at the moment, I have only had it for a week. But time will tell.

I bought this amp just recently, and I've had it for about a week. It has two channels, and it came with a footswitch, which can come in handy. It has 4 effects, delay w/chorus, delay, chorus, and flanger. The effects are ok, but I barely use em. It has also CD jack and something called FDD. I'm not sure wat this does, even after reading the instructions, but I tried it, and it seemsto make it louder.