MG50DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50DFX

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music

I mostly play an Epiphone Les Paul, and I love the sound. I also a have a Line 6 Spider II amp, and it's gathering dust. The clean sound is great as long as the gain is set to about 2.5, which means that if you try to get really loud with it, it gets kind of nasty. The overdrive channel is great for lead or power chords, and basically sounds like you would expect a Marshall to sound. I mostly play rock, punk, and emo, and it's a great sound for those. I've played through amps in this price range where you can't get a decent distorted sound without a pedal, but this isn't like that. Sure, it doesn't have the punch that bigger amps have, but for its size it has a really thick sound.

It's not the magic answer to everyone's needs, but it suits mine well. It's the best amp of its power and price that I've ever played through, it definitely makes a great practice amp. If it were stolen, I'd go right out and buy a new one.

I've had this amp about 6 months and so far, no problems. I'd definitely bring this to a gig without a backup. It's solid state, so it's pretty reliable.

This is a pretty versatile amp as far as I'm concerned. It has both a clean and overdrive channel, each with their own 3-band EQ and gain. overdrive also has its own volume control, which is nice. The built-in effects (delay/chorus, delay, chorus, and flanger) are fun to play around with, and are customizable for time and volume, but if you are serious about using effects in your music, get pedals because these are pretty limited. The fdd should always stay in and really fills out the sound. It also has an effects loop, a CD input (good for playing along with drum tracks, but CDs don't sound great through the 12" speaker), and an emulated line out/headphone jack. Oh, and the reverb sounds alright too, even though I hardly use it.