MG50DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50DFX

The amp sounds very nice on clean or distortion but you can't get a soft distortion for blues but I don't really play blues so it doesn't matter. When you turn the countour down and the distortion up the amp hums really loud but thats probably because of my crappy Squier. At Guitar Center I plugged this into a Gibson SG Special and it sounded 1000 times better than my guitar. The amp sonds better when you turn it up on both channels.

I tested out a few other amps after it broke to see if any others in the price range sounded good but I wasn't satisfied with them. I tested a Fender Princeton that hummed super loud, a Crate which was ok, and a AD50VT Vox. But none sounded a sounded as good as the MG50DFX. Good clean tone and great distortion. The one knock is that you can't flip the reverb on and off. But before you buy this amp make sure nothing is wrong with the fan, when I first got it it sounded like something was flapping against it. Best amp in the price range.

I have had this amp for four months and it has broken once and it had a problem when a first bought it. But probably just because of bad luck. I haven't played any gigs yet but I don't think I would play any gig w/o a back up.

The amp has two channels, 4 digital effects (chorus/delay, delay, chorus, and flanger) plus reverb, and a comes with a foot switch that can switch the effects on and off and the channel (not the reverb). The amp has a good amount of knobs to get the right sond you want on over drive or the clean tone and both sound good even with my crappy Squier. The manuel tells you a few settings and how they should sound and the classic cruch sounds great for my style which is alternative/punk. I play in a band, only two practices though, and the amp definetly gets loud enough and sounds great with the original songs we play.