MG50DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50DFX

Purchased from: dont remember what store

I used this amp with my charvel/jackson 92 custom, my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and used to play it with my Eric Clapton signature strat. It suits whatever I play with the help of an effects pedal it can pretty much play anything. It can crank up pretty high and doesnt hum but if you have it near a wall (about 2 feet away) you can hear the fans air coming back off the wall. My clean channel was not distorted at high volumes it stayed clean throughout, and the distortion can play some heavy heavy stuff.

I play a range from classic rock to metal and this could pump out whatever I could throw at it. I've been playing for about 6 years on and off and even after breaking my wrist and fracturing my forearm and it hadnt been used in a year and was covered in dust I turned it on and it purred like a kitten. If it were lost or stolen I would probably buy a different one because it just wouldnt be the same to me. I love the clean channel nice and crisp at all levels for me. I hated when my chip blew out and I was stuck in crunch overdrive so you might as well make good use with it. I wish the pedal had more features on it.

I use this at home and at small jam sessions, and a few little gigs with about 30 friends, and another one was in front of about 1300 people over the course of 2 hours. It didn't fail at all during that gig. It was fine but I fried a chip in it after about 5 years and the chip is being replaced as we speak. The amp was stuck in overdrive and if you kicked over to clean it wouldnt work and overdrive sounded crunchy no matter what you did to it. Other than that it has been great to me. Because of the reliablity in playing in front of that many people and not failing during gigs its still getting a 10 because it took it 5 years to break down and it wasnt even completly.

I got this amp back in 2001 I believe and it was great and reliable, key word was. It has 2 channels, 4 effects and has plenty of power. Enough to make your walls rumble and yes even a window crack (known from experience). It has great sound on clean, and its overdrive is wicked.