MG50DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50DFX

Purchased from: Long & McQuades

I use a MRW copy Les Paul. The amp can play the styles I like to play like Zep, GN'R, Sabbath to an extent. But it's fine for now. It can get noisy on the clean channel, and does sound so natural like I thought it shud. The clean channel I find can get distorted at high volumes which is a crappy asset. The distortion I find is the only great thing for this amp. The overdrive I think is stunning.

I play from a variety blues, rock, metal. And I find can play them fine. I've been playing for about 7 months. I wish I found about the JCM series or went with a different solid state amp. If it were stolen or lost I wud prolly buy a different amp. I love how it has a great price, and the distortion. I hate the clean on the amp though. Its a fine beginner amp. But anyone who has gone through their first amp dont bother.

I would gig with this without a back up no problem. Never had a problem with it, and dropped it a few times.

I don't know what year the MG50DFX was made, but I think it's a newer series. The amp is fine for the styles I play. It has two channels. Clean and overdrive. It has built in effects so you don't need a pedal which is great for beginers. It has an effects loop and headphone jack. I wish the clean channel was less crunchy. This amp isnt great on the clean channel, I feel it can get to distroted. It's an alright beginner amp, but I wouldn't recomend this amp. I use this for my room, and to jam. It can be quiet enough, and loud enough to jam with.

zirklers
    I bought a Marshall Amp (UK built) here in Australia and they only come with a 1 year warranty. Sounds fine but broke down after relatively little use and it's only 18months old so I'm stuffed with an overhyped useless box unless I spend more on it. Check the fine print of your warranty because I will never buy another Marshall product here in Oz until Marshall have the balls to back it up with a decent warranty. Shame on you Marshall for selling me expensive junk. I'm trying to make a living out of this and I'm working for repair bills now. Be warned Marshall customers. Don't be fooled by the guitar shop magazines and sellers. I play for real and the reality is this product failed to cut it out there in the gig space. Hope this reality check helps someone avoid the pain of unneccessary expense. Shop suspiciously and you'll be rocking, I'll be mopping floors ! Steve Z.
    Shizzster
    i have it, its a pretty decent amp for the price although i do agree there is probably a better deal out there this amp sounds pretty good. the clean is OK not the best and the distoriion is pretty good. Its definatly loud of enough for practice and im genna b forced to gig with it so ill see how that goes. the problems i have with mine is the friggin fan it will moan for a bout a min when u first turn it on and then it finally kicks in to normal power. hasnt totally broken yet and ive had it for a year. another thing i noticed is that after playin it for a while with my friend at pretty high volumes the distorion became really fuzzy and sounded nasty. i had to live with it for a while but i finally bought a multi effects with distrotion so i use those distortions now. if it were stolen and id probably buy a cube 60 and if i had spare money something even bigger like a peavey valve king
    guitar_amateur
    the old one is a piece of shit with knobs on it called precision, you can find a review of it on ug
    guitar_amateur
    im seriously considering buying this amp, i trust the place where i plan on getting it from too, but it would cost me $440(CAD)and some people are telling me to buy it from the same place I bought the reason I want a new amp
    little_green_1
    Help me out here, i have a birthday coming up really soon and i cant decide whether to get Marshall MG50DFX or a vox AD50VTX.
    Gatocaster
    I bought a new MG50DFX last summer. Quite soon after it developed an annoying buzz/rattle whenever I played a bottom E. This happened on more than 1 guitar so it wasn't fret rattle or anything like that. I finally couldn't take it any more, so returned it to Marshall for a repair. 3 weeks later it came back making nothing more than an earthing screech! Luckily for me the shop where I got it from took pity and replaced it straight away, but I've got to say that I'm seriously not impressed by Marshall's service quality. At the end of the day I've got an amp that works, but can't help thinking I should have saved up some more and gone for a Fender Twin instead.
    sTx
    This amp plays like a dream, compared to my Laney. No, the Laney rules.=D
    Korzack
    Hmm... Had mine for about 10 months now - lol Maybe should keep an eye on it come November time hehe Sounds good enough for me - Okay, to be fair, it could be better, but it could be a lot worse, a lot of it's just because I'm forever playing it at volume 1 or 2 so I don't annoy the neighbours. Definitely thinking for a next amp get a slightly more upmarket Marshall (looking at the DSL's) or a Hot Rod Fender - remember borrowing the Deluxe one for a gig & it sounded Damn nice.
    Kunundrum
    It's a good entry level amp you may gig (but not the best). I love the clean cause i play lots of jazz, but i don't like the overdrive. You can't get in between overdrive sounds like B.B. King stuff or John Scofield or overdriven blues tones. But it sounds good for stuff with lots of gain. I borrow a Tubescreamer sometimes when i use this and that fixes the problem
    zirklers
    My Marshall combo packed it in in 18 months of life. Warranty here is 12 months. For a product that boasts it is the primo, that sure sucks. Never again MArshall. Have the balls to back your product with a decent warranty Marshall cause I sure Marshan't ! Steve Z (trying to make it as a pro but too busy working to repair crap.)
    da\/e
    got one today 10 out of 10 really it rocks its got great effects and distortion. it cost me 250 and the footswich was 18.
    da\/e
    my band has one it's preety good i love the distortion sound
    leftys rule
    Ive had 1 for a year and it is a great amp. i am a bit pissed off that ive gone through two footswitches, the first one faulty as soon as i got it the second one last a year. im pretty sure its just bad luck. MG's dont suck
    Faith No More
    I bought one umm 2 weeks ago because I borrowed the 100 watt one off a friend and liked it. An the 50 watt was all i could fit in my room. I don't know why people hate it. It has a pretty decent overdrive/clean channel too. An to the people saying the clean is too bassy/twangy...ever heard of changing the eq? Twangy for surf(which i play alot) ppfft. An the overdrive is good. Id probably use it for my band. The effects are good enough, but i don't use effects much for what i play. What else would you want for 165 ? EY!
    Nathy8979
    JohnnySlash wrote: Hmmm...little confusing that some people loves it but other hates it...
    ChptOfDarkness
    my friend had this amp. its great for a beginner in metal and such but no good for gigs. more garage/basement band thing
    jiddy12321
    alright im into led zeppelin and stuff like that,could anybudy tell me if this amp is good for that sort of stuff and light metal stuff
    UnsignedRecords
    well, my band member plays through this, only got it about a year ago and it has already failed to work, at all i mean. the cleans, like mentioned a few times above, are actually quite poor, and the overdrive bottoms out very easily. i've played through an friend's mg30dfx, which is a bit older, maybe made in the 90's and it sounds fine through my modeling pedal. but personally, i'm a crate man
    brandnewjunkie
    Update to my review above: about 6 months ago for no reason at all the amp became stuck on the overdrive channel. I've tried everything and I've even taken it apart and everything looks fine. It happened a little more than one year after I bought it. So I would have to change my reliablility rating to 0. The clean channel was actually the best part of this amp and now I can't use it. I've talked to several people who are electronics/amp knowledgable but they have no idea (it's definitely not just the switch). I've since got a nice tube fender and I couldn't be happier...
    Xenn99
    Frobert, I'm not calling you a liar. I'm just stating that a lot of people bash MG's without ever trying them. If you see a post on the forums that even MENTIONS an MG, there is a long parade of "everyone says they suck" "Most of the people on UG hate them" "I heard they're crap" etc. I accept that Marshall isn't perfect. Believe me. If I was some blatant fanboy I would have given it a 10/10. I find that the amp does what it needs to and does it decently. That's all. As for the whole warranty buisness, that's BS. They SHOULD have the balls to back up their product. One year? That's an insult to the buyer.
    XAkitAX
    Wow. timmEH obviously doesn't know crap about amps, when he says cleans are tinny or bassy, its called EQ idiot. I have an MG50DFX and I can get the perfect sound with any of my 8 guitars. This is a very nice amp.