MG50DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50DFX

Purchased from: local music store (now sold up)

ATM my main guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus (same hardware, fancy bodywork), and it's got a good sound, although it does tend to stick itself firmly into Metal. I usually have the gain semi-high about 6 or so, the bass down, the contour virtually off, the treble quite high & the same with the overdrive volume (which may explain the feedback I got as explained in reliability). After borrowing various far more expensive amps at various point in me career (think I've used about everything from a hot rod Fender to a full-on Marshall stack to a Line 6. Not a fan of Line 6), I still prefer the tone of this oft-ridiculed MG to the others. The style I play is a sort of punk, Rock N' Roll (Think Slash & Angus Young via Steve Jones (Pistols) & the Ramones, with a pinch of metallic Drive and you're there), and t works like a treat.

When I first got given it (18th Birthday present, along with the Les Paul), it was definitely a case of 'Wow, I'm a proper guitarist now', which you get that feeling with a Marshall. Over time, that hasn't changed. Sure, so I've tried plenty of other amps, but to be fair, this thing convinced me to stay with Marshall, and after trying out the stacks, I think I'm not gonna change any time soon. My only complaint? The minor bit of hilarity their building procedure does. Surely it'd be cheaper & a better statement to have it all made at Milton Keynes? Well made in England, anyways.

I've had it for just over a year, and through regular use hasn't even considered letting go. Even challenged fate & used it for a gig after the miserly year's warranty ran out, & was fine -Easily loud enough, although it did give a bit of feedback after been turned up that bit higher than usual (think it was up to 4 or 5). The little footswitch has handled been stamped on a zillion times by varying sizes of boot & show, mainly New Rocks nowadays.

I presume it was made in 2006 (Parts made in England, shipped & put together in India, then shipped back to England for quality control). the speaker's 4 OHMs, 2 channels (clean and overdrive), with the usual controls (but a contour on the overdrive instead of middle, which, according to the manual is something really fancy, but in experience, it refines the tone, really. On low, it sounds really raw & rough, good for rock & punk, whilst on high it's clear but brutal, which is handy for metal). Built in are a few effects (chorus, flange delay or a combo of the 3) with a level knob, a reverb knob & a button for something called frequency dependency damping or something. Put simply, it makes the tone a bit warmer & more akin to a valve amp. Came with a 2 button footswitch (channel select & effects). The weight ain't too bad at about 50 lbs. The size is more of a hindrance for carrying than the weight of it, but it's still a bugger to heft.