MG50DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50DFX

Purchased from: Music Factory

As far as I'm concerned, the main sound characteristic of the amp is it's distortion. With it you can play virtually any music that has distortion, which is great for me because it's exactly what I play. The clean sound is also really good, not as much versatile as the overdrive but still very good, and it sounds wonderful with Reverb. In my opinion, the main problem of this amp is that it's hard to get a sound between clean and distortion, the clean channel isn't distorted at high volumes and the only way to put the clean sound a bit distorted is to low the guitar's volume and also the gain setting in the overdrive channel. I have a Fender Standard Stratocaster and it sounds amazing.

As I've mentioned, the amp perfectly suits my style of music and is a good match with my Fender Stratocaster. If it were stolen or lost I would probably buy it again because I just love it's distortion sounds and it's not very big so it's quite 'transportable' (sorry for my english, I'm portuguese). I only wish that it had a way to achieve a sound between Overdrive and Clean, but, in conclusion, I think it's worth the price I've paid.

I admit that I've never done a gig with this amp, I only bought it last week but I'm sure it would sound wonderful even without a backup. It has never broken down, however, it has already fallen down my bed (I know it's not a big fall) but it still sounds as good as new.

The Marshall MG50DFX is a solid state 50 watt amp and has two channels: Clean and Overdrive. The Overdrive channel is very versatile and satisfies perfectly the styles of music that I play (I play Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, Metallica, AC/DC and Red Hot). The effects are Chorus/Delay, Delay, Chorus, Flanger and an excellent Reverb, it also has a Frequency Damping Dependency or something like that. I don't know what it does, I only know that it sounds much better with it turned on. The amp comes with a footswitch which allows you to change channels and turn the effects on/off, however, it doesn't work with the Reverb. It is a very loud amp, so the volume is never a problem.

AaROn!
    Hmmm i was thinking about getting one of these, just for practising etc and i play a lot of AC/DC stuff, heavier stuff and also a bit of punk. Sould i get one of these or something else??