MG50DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50DFX

Purchased from: Guitar.co.uk

I use a Squier Standard Telecaster (single coils) with my Marsh and it sounds amazing on the clean channel. It really suits my jazz and blues playing. You can get a real crisp sound or smooth deep sound depending on how you set the EQ. I found a great sound for stumming chords whilst using my neck pickup. In overdrive the gain is either on or off; you can't get a low gain sound that you may find in some modern Indie tracks. But the distortion is well and truly brutal. Perfect for punk, metal, rock or anything nice and heavy. The FDD button really 'beefs' up the sound and recreates a tube Marsh well.

I've not been playing long but this amp is a perfect match for my varied styles of playing. I know I can trust that I will find my desired sound somewhere within this amp. If it were stolen I would probably buy the same amp because having used an MG100DFX I feel the extra 50 watts is unnecerssary. I really love the FDD feature and would recommend to anyone.

I had an incident several days ago where the amp fell out the back of the van. Despite a few scratches, the amp plays exactly like it did when I got it out the box. No problems whatsoever. I could gig to my heart's content and the backup would just gather dust.

My 50 watt Marsh was built in 2006 in India. I've been using it solidly since I bought it in late 2007 and I have gigged it a couple of times. I was put off buying it due to the fact that it is not a tube or valve Marshall but was surprised by the quality of the FDD feature. It has the standard channels: clean and overdrive with seperate EQs for each. I have also made use of the DFX features which includes delay, chorus, delay/chorus and flanger effects. It has one input, one emulated line out (headphones), footswitch, Effects in/out, CD in and external speaker. There is sufficient power behind the sound to carry it round most halls and more than enough to record on.

leviticus_22953
    i have this amp and i love it. i really love the sound especially the clean channel. i don't have any problems with it.
    jeffo46
    These amps suck.I bought one over a year ago,brand new.After 2 weeks,the cooling fan in the back of the amp,started making loud grinding noises.I emailed Marshall about it,and they never returned ny email.I bought it back and got a refund.Fuck Marshall,they don't care about their customers.
    BlueSky6392
    uhmm.. yea. i was thinking of buying this thing.. cuz my friend has it nad it sounded good... but i was thinking of buying the fender fm 212 too...they're about the same price soo.. any advice of which to buy?