MG50DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50DFX

I use a stock Ibanez SA220FM through a Boss metal-core ML2 pedal for (as I said before) metalcore and deathmetal. The distortion on the amp actually sounds really good for other types of metal because of the contour control, you can get a really scooped sound. It is a pretty quite amp and with all the effects it comes with (Delay, Reverb, Chorus and Flanger) you can get basically any sound you want. It sounds really good up loud but for the genre I play, the distortion just wasn't good enough.

Overall, the best thing I like about this amp is it's clean channel. It sounds really good with lots of reverb and delay or chorus. Also the convenience of a footswitch is just perfect for Live gigs. I would definately get this amp again it got stolen, but I would definately also look around at other amps first. I got this amp because it was offered at half price (aussie dollars) and I had the MG15 previously and it served me pretty well. The only thing I could have asked for is more distortion!

The amp is a solid box, it really is a heavy amp. I would definately use it on a gig without a back-up. It has never broken down and I have used it for a few gigs (I even piled smaller amps on top of it at one gig) and it still works fine. I've owned it for 2 years now and I've never had a single problem with it. I'd probaly even leave it in the back of my car and not worry about it getting stolen because it's so heavy and the theif would have a hard time trying to run down the street with it.

This 2 channel amp is a great amp for the style I play. I play metalcore and deathmetal and although I need to use a distorsion pedal through it to get that extra gain, it pumps it out as loud as I need, that being said, the clean channel is the best I've ever played out of. There are lots of effects that sound really good and so much there is also so much control over both the clean and distortion channels. It also comes with a footswitch with channel and effects buttons. This amp is so powerful, I havnn't even heard it with full volume just because it's loud enough half way! I can also practice at night with it because it has a headphone input.