MG50DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50DFX

Price paid: A$ 500

Purchased from: Rockshop

I am currently using standard a Squier:SE100 guitar with this amp and it does sound amazing, the only downside is a minor one and that's on the guitars behalf as the pick ups feed back on the distortion channel but other than that the amp sounds really nice. I play a significant amount of "dropped tuned" songs and it has really good reception of the lower frequencies. The distortion is very good but it is a preset so it's not amazing but for being an effect coming with the amp it sounds really good. The clean chanel stays clean until around 75% of max volume then the pick ups start to feed back into it and make it sound rather disgusting.

I've been playing for nearly three years now and I've developed a wide variety in music for classical to death metal and this amp has not dissappointed me yet, if this amp was lost/stolen I would buy the same again but maybe a slightly higher power output but I would definately stick with Marshall amps. When purchasing this I was looking at the Line6 Spider III 30watt and a Marshall MG15MSII micro stack and I felt that this amp was better value for money and more suited to my needs as a player. There are only two things I wish this amp had and that is a phase shifter effect and an accoustic modeler but other than that it is a good amp and there's nothing to really hate about it other than it doesnt't have that little bit extra power but limited funds make it a very good amplifier to purchase.

My amplifier hasn't seen a lot of gigs but it certainly seems to withstand the odd beating for instruments etc. Falling on it. There have been no troubles with it so far and I've been using it nearly everyday for the last 4 months and I can't stop enjoying it, I would gig with this without backup because some of my friends gig with the MG150DFX and they just love it and it's caused no problem for them, therefore I'm putting my trust into Marshall for their good standard of production quality.

This amp is well suited for me and my playing style as it is a suitable size for jamming out but it can be gigged with on smaller scale venues without micing up. It has a clean and over Drive mono chanels with a footswitch to change between the two and the preset effects, it also has a FDD button to mimic a valve amp sound which doesnt't't sound too bad. The preset effects it comes with aren't really that useful as they are really vague in terms of setting them up so I would rather use independant pedals/stomp boxes instead of the presets. I play wide varieties of music and this amp has enough power for those styles, both the clean and overdrive channels sound amazing.