MG50DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50DFX

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

I am using an Epiphone SG wiht cheap stock humbs in it, and unfortunatley, the distortion on the amp is on the muddy side, so the pickups don't help, but by having the mids at about halfway, the tone is preety clean and crunchy. I play classic rock, and classic metal, so this amp is reasnobale for those purposes, although it's suited better for modern music. One thing that's great is that with the flange, I get a sound very similar to Alex Lifeson, so that's a plus (because I play Rush) the only noise it really makes is the fan, but if you're playing at even a moderate volume, there's no way you can hear it, so whatever. The variety of sounds is preety great with the equalizers, and I've found that even various levels of gain and mids really changes the sound considerably. The clean channel starts to distort at half gain, and the distortion is quite a beast a max.

I play classic rock and classic metal, and for that purpose its just fine, I also have crybaby classic wah, and a Godin SD, I'be been playing for 1 year and a half. I wish I had more knowledge of tone and amps when i bough this, as I probably would have preferred a tube amp, even if it was smaller. I don't regret buying this though, it's a solid amp. If it were stolen, i'd most likely try something else, but just to mix it up (probably a Fender tube or Crate) I love thats it's a Mrashall, but I hate that it's an MG, just because everyone bashes them. Overall though, I like my amp, and at the every least, the Big Curly Marshall signature always impresses people.

I can definetly depend on this amp, I've had it for 8 months, used it at variuos gigs, smashed into various walls and such, and it's still in perfect condish, so I would not need a back-up. The only thing is that when I first got it, there was a problem with the distortion channel (no volume) so I got it replaced, but that would count as a manufacturing defect.

This amp is a 50 watt solidstate Marshall, with clean and overdrive, four effects built in, (delay, chorus+delay, chorus, flanger) digital reverb, full equalizers, comes with a footswitch for channel select and toggle FX on and off. It also features a CD-in mono input, and effects in/out, plus it is expandable. I've used pretty much every feature this amp has, and all the effects, andi just wish that there was a reverb Switch on the footswitch too, and that the effects selection knob clicked or something so you can tell which effet your on without having to closley look at the lines. It has a hell of a lot of power, altough it does have a little too much bass; feedback on the low strings when the volume is high can really shake the walls. I have to this day never maxed the volume because at gigs I havn't needed to, and I wouldn't try it in my house (we have a lot of paintings on the walls lol)

Rogue Hermit
    this is a great sounding amp if you're used to low-end solid state amps. when i first heard a tube amp, it blew away this cheesy mg series amp. there's a reason why professional musicians avoid solid state for the most part...
    Simboglide
    Seriously, why do people do that? Don't those people think if we had a grand just hanging out of our pockets, everyone would have a tube amp?
    Simboglide
    i looove dopes that like to compare SS to Tubes. "Man that vega is o.k. but if you wanna go fast get a vet " duhhh
    Paro_metalhead
    This amp is not too bad, but this amp vs a valve amp is not good...I recommend it for beginners who practice a lot, but i wouldnt recommend it 4 gigging/rehearsing
    rockfreak611
    when it comes to practice amps... the line 6 spider 30 watt is the way to go. It sounds the best out of the spider series, and it blows away the MG's. The Vox Pathfinder is a great practice amp as well as the vox valvetronix. But I pray to the Lord Almighty every single night that I never have to play a solid-state amplifier again in my life. TUBE FOR LIFE. hahaha did u just say line 6? hahahahahahha. those amps are the absolute worst amps on the planet. horrible pieces of shit. MGs shit all over them and that's a bad thing.
    dgargett95
    these amps r awesome, heaps of people diss them, but with a few fx pedals and a bit of a fiddle with the settings they sound great!!! Also, a lot of the tone and sound comes from your technique and feeling!!!
    jesussowns
    deaththrashcore wrote: Marshall MGs have the tone of a tuning fork.
    Fuckin' spot on mate.
    calger14
    i have a MG30DFX and i think its ok but it cant get a good sound for what i play.
    Faux~Affliction
    The MG Series is the worst amp I've ever played. And I've played a HUGE selection of amps. Complete waste of money, you can do WAY better for the price.
    domiel
    higherworlds
    if you know good equipment and good tone, then you know this sucks, not loud, bad tone, reverb sucks, and its a solid state, enough said!
    guitarNbass
    asfastasdark
    The reason these have such high rating is probably because there starter level amps that are recommended to everyone in every music store, and the people that don't know which amps are good and which are bad think "it sounds good" so they get it. But after playing for a year or so you realize that the tone sucks and you should have gotten something else.
    masterp666
    its not the best, but in my opinion its solid and reliable. its never died on me, and its been everywhere i've been, which is a bunch of places. it sounds great loud. the only way it disappointed me were the somewhat sterile cleans and the fact that the distortion couldn't reach serious metal levels. But a boss bd-2 is perfect for getting nice warm cleans out of it, and for serious distortion i have the boss ml-2 metal core. with those, its a seriously awesome amp. i get fantastic tube-esque cleans, and serious distortion, and everything sounds better when its cranked up but also it sounds good when its quiet. and since its quiet hours during finals right now, i can definitely attest to that.
    metal_666_man
    domiel wrote: this amp should get something like a 5 or a 6. its one of the worst practice amp's ive tried.
    i have to agree, i was quite disappointed with it, there are much better practice amps out there then this
    slayer98763
    i've tried this amp and i have got to say, its horrible and considering that a lot of these reviews are within the 9-10 range, that just means that people really don't know how to review things properly and just throw around 10's like candy. in my opinion, if you want a good amp, save up a 2000 dollars and get one from messa boogie or something, don't cheap out. and if you are on a strict budget, go for a vox or something like the vox DA-5 only like 200 bucks but is a million times better then this amp, and have a lot more effects and distortions, its a great little practice amp, but thats all its good for, practice.
    Simboglide
    Want a really nice amp for $80 cheaper? Spider IV ,I sat down and hour each with both. Wasn't even a horse race and i'm talking the new MG4-50DFX.