MG50FX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Marshall: MG50FX

Price paid: A$ 700

Purchased from: Rockshop

I use this amp with a Yamaha RGX620DZ, a cheap Strat copy, and a homemade EVH guitar with a Seymour Duncan JB. It suits my music style fairly well, although there's not really much variety in tones EQ wise. I'm not really too bothered with that because the sound I get suits me just fine. It's noisy at high volume which is kinda annoying, but once I play it's fine. I get a relatively low-gain high-mid sound by modern metal standards, but it's close enough to an old-school crunchy tone which is what I wanted anyway. I wouldn't call the distortion brutal, it's more a crunchy tone on OD1 and a nice smooth lead tone on OD2. Clean tones are quite nice with a touch of chorus and a whole lot more reverb, but you'll need to turn the gain down if you want higher volumes.

I've been playing 4 years and this amp has served me well. I compared it to a Line 6 Spider III but that Marshall badge was oh so tempting to a 15 year old hahaha. In saying that, I've seen the MGs get flamed here on UG, but it is simply a good practice amp with alright features, and nothing less, nothing more. If it were stolen I'd claim insurance and use it to upgrade to my first tube amp, but I'd be pretty gutted at the same time. All in all, it's nothing special but a very good practice amp for the bedroom where those tubes just can't be driven.

YouTube preview picture

I would never use this at a gig, primarily because I have access to a Marshall JVM410H w/ a 1960ADM cab, but also because my 2-button footswitch has broken and the input comes loose. Nothing a new footswitch and a bit of Loctite can't handle, but frankly I expected better. The amp itself is solid as though.

I'm gonna start by saying I got this for NZD$700, there's no setting for New Zealand currency. No idea when the amp was made, made in Vietnam. This amp's fairly versatile for my style, I play mainly Metal with Neo-Classical leads, and also Glam, Punk, Blues and a bit of fingerstyle. It's a four channel amp with Clean, Crunch, OD1 and OD2, it also has an effects loop, reverb, chorus, phaser, flanger and delay, a headphone out jack (though I wish it were the "bigger" kind) and an aux input. There's a feature called Frequency Damping which when activated highlights the treble and bass frequencies for a more "Modern" sorta sound. The effects are alright, not really recording quality but you can get away with it in the bedroom or at casual jams, I wish it had adjustable parameters but you can only really adjust the speed and intensity of them. The reverb's surprisingly nice for a cheapie amp and the delay is more than adequate. I use this for bedroom practice, and it's sweet as, plenty of power, and the aux input is perfect to plug a computer into for backing tracks. All in all there's more than enough features for a practice amp.

Gortorek
    I'm glad I got the old valvestate instead, they cost about the same for the 50watt counterpart on ebay.
    BradIon1995
    I can definitely see how a Valvestate would have better tone, but sometimes you just can't beat 4 channels They're completely different beasts.