MG50FX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG50FX

Price paid: A$ 450

Purchased from: Billy Hyde

I have three different guitars ranging from a Shecter with brutal pickups to a Fender Strat with Alnico IIIs. I play a wide range of music from soft bluesy Santana to Pink Floyd and am trying to get a handle on some metal stuff including some soloing. The amp if anything is biased towards Rock n Roll and Metal but it can play blues and almost anything else. For the price and value it is awesome.

My overall impression is that it is an awesome amp. It looks awesome and sounds awesome. I compared this amp in the store with a Marshall MA50C, which was close to double the price. I got the guy in the store to play while I listened. Both us agreed that for Metal there was no discernible difference. I feel there is a strange group of people who love to hate the Marshall MG series of amps. In most cases they are either tube snobs or people who just want to sound cool but wouldn't know tone if it bit them on the nose. Objectively speaking this is a lovely amp. Truthfully I love the my other amps better for certain things but this for others. No amp in my experience does everything, not even a Mesa Boogie but can it help you make great inspirational music and make you and others feel good. Yes it can do so very nicely. If it was stolen I am not sure if I would buy it again. I am not wedded to brands or models just to sound. I would probably compare it to what is in the store at that time and make my decision accordingly.

YouTube preview picture

I have not had the amp for long enough but a Marshall is a Marshall and based on my previous experience with their amps they are built like tanks, maybe not Roland Cube tough but then nothing is.

This amp was made sometime in late 2011 or early 2012. It takes some getting used to but it is ultimately easy to dial in a very wide range of tones. It has four channels, a clean, a crunch, and two types of distortion. A foot switch switches between them. Bass, Mid and Treble knobs allow a wide range of tones to be dialed in. It also has a separate reverb and a delay knob. In addition there is a knob that switches between phaser, flanger and chorus, all of quite usable quality. In addition it has a means of adjusting delay time, there is a master knob and means of storing settings. There is also a tuner, mp3 in and a headphone jack as well as a volume, distortion and master volume control. Last but not least is a switch that enables damping to enable switching between classic and modern amp tones. Of course the amp is solid state but this does not work against it. I use it at home and it is super powerful. For comparison I also have a Jet City 2112RC, an Ibanez Tubescreamer amp and a Marshall MG2FX. For the price the feature list is awesome.

Aubrey0327
    Well, I just spent several hours doing side-by-side comparisons of the MG50fx, Roland Cube 20 and 40, Fender Mustangs, Fender Super Champ Modifed, Line 6 Spider IV 30w and Peaveys VIP 2 and 3. If yours hums, fix your guitar, if you can't get a good tone, get a better guitar. This amp sounds like a big marshall when kept at moderate volume, responds very well to rolling off guitar volume (not quite like JCM or others, but far better than the rest I tried), gives me a pretty authentic bluesy/hendrix overdrive and that trademark marshall chainsaw tone. I needed an amp that was versatile and sounded good at home; but would yield a great tone when recorded with a decent microphone. This amp did just that, while most of the others couldn't come close. The Spider IV was a one-trick pony that sounded lousy clean and the overdrive had no subtlety or volume knob sensitivity. Garbage,the worst of the bunch. The Roland was pretty good but not convincing. Little super champ was good, but only 2 channels and no effects loop and still not convincing as a hard rocker. Seems like the others just tried to squeeze too much into one box at a low price but failed to address the need for a solid guitar sound first. I have played almost everything out there over the last 35 years so I am no rookie with this stuff. You want a good all-round amp to practice, jam or record with, this one is BY FAR the best of the bunch. If you want all those bells and whistles, buy a good effects unit and plug into the loop, or buy one of the other "modelling" amps and drive yourself nuts trying to get more than one good sound out of it. If you don't get the ins snd outs of tone, don't blame this amp. If you want a Fender Twin sound, buy a Fender Twin.
    Leather Sleeves
    The MG series really isn't all that great. If you've gotta go cheap look elsewhere.
    snshami
    The quality of comments on this site is just plain pathetic. You sound like a bunch of uninformed teenagers who are just mouthing off an opinion to sound cool. I wouldn't be surprised if all you played was Guitar Hero. We have lots of amps, tube and solid state. Some of my friends are real fanatics about tone. They are not brand fanatics though and care nothing about where their tone comes from and most of them are very impressed by the MG line. Every amp can be made to sound bad and they all need tweaking of the knobs to bring out their best. A good amp is one that can put out a great tone and this MG50FX can do that without even much tweaking.
    randomsaguy
    Uhm. No. I own a MG50FX, it was my 2nd amp. And honestly, after playing with it for 3 years I still couldn't manage to get a good sound. It means nothing coming from me, for all you know I'm just terrible at getting a good sound, but I also have tons of friends and fellow guitar players from my music college which you can say are "real fanatics about tone" that absolutely HATE these amps. One of my guitar teachers, who also works as a music producer and owns his own studio, said that "the marshall mg series's distortion sounds like frying bacon. The cleans aren't that good either". I just laughed in agreement. Honestly, as things stand now, if you're looking to buy an MG...don't.
    Ben Hobson
    I own a Vox Valvetronix and...well, it sucks. My VT20+, as soon as you turn it to the metal effects there's a ton of white background noise that you can't get rid of. Played out of an MG50FX the other day however, and the tone I got was sublime, with no backgound noise. Seriously considering replacing the Vox - what everyone on this site says you should get - with this Marshall.
    KerNeL_KLuTcH
    the previous version, i believe it's the mg50dfx is much better this new digital shit that marshall has made.