MS-2 review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Marshall: MS-2

Purchased from: Long and McQuade music store

I use my Marshall MS-2 with my 1985 Fender Stratocaster (on both the pickups for clean, and the last pickup for distortion). The little thing has ok sound, but when I turn it up high on clean it sounds like overdrive. The annoying thing is I can barely tell that the thing is on overdrive when it is. I have to turn it on clean first and then to od to feel it. It really pisses me off. It's ok for practise though.

I usually play punk rock, christian and my own stuff. It isn't really a match for anything. I have been playing since February 2004. I also have a Hughs and Ketner blue light edition, and that thing is awesome. If I ever lost it, I'd probably get something else to replace it, because other things this size look better and have better sound. I like it, but after studying other brands and models of its classification, I wish I had waited a while to buy one.

Well, I would never ever use this thing for a freaking gig. It's just not good enough. But it is pretty durable (I've dropped it twice on concrete and it hasn't broken).

My Marshall MS-2 is about a couple of pounds and is operated by a 9v battery. It's sound is pretty average, but it has this annoying crackle in clean mode. It has volume and tone controls and a switch that includes the options of off clean and overdrive. The overdrive is ok, but there is too much crackle and not enough "power". It needs at the least a gain control, and a little reverb. It has a headphone jack, but I rarely use it because it is only compatible with quarter inch headphones. If you want something better, I think they've pretty much worked out the tweaks by making the Marshall MS-2.