MS-2 review by Marshall

Marshall: MS-2

Purchased from: Local Music Store

As I said the amp has two channels clean and overdrive, the clean channel is not very loud (only as much as you can expect from a mini amp). The sound is quite compact and as you turn up the volume it becomes distorted even though it's 'clean') but it doesn't sound too bad. Next is the overdrive, people are making it out to be far worse than it is, it does fuzz abit at full volume, this reason it doesn't fuzz so much is that it's not really a brutal distortion, at full volume its as distorted as an amp with gain on about 5-6, otherwise it's like a overdrive pedal (not distortion) on a tame setting. The overdrive is really loud, as loud as the volume I use my practice amp at home, but to get a good sustain you need a pedal or to have it at full volume. Overall I rate the sound 4, it's more than I expected, but if you have a distortion pedal it's a 5 as it packs just as much a punch as any other amp with one on and the sound quality is excellent.

If you're looking for a portable amp which you can actually carry round without trouble this is for you, don't expect too much though as it is only a micro amp. It's only for fun, I wouldn't use it at a gig obviously. But it would be excellent if you're writing songs or just want to practice away from home. Also the battery life is excellent, 20 hours I think.

The amp is very durable, I've dropped it a few times and it's survived without scratches. There's no much else to say.

The cool this about this amp is that I think it's the only mini-amp to have a belt clip on it to carry it around this is really useful, and if you're a busker it's for you! Two simple knobs (apart from the power one) clea and overdrive channel, but I'm left abit disappointed as the Roland Micro-Amp for only twenty quid for has 7 effects and amp models. It has a headphone jack and it looks nice!