MS-2 review by Marshall

Marshall: MS-2

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

I am using a Standard Fender Stratocaster which has three single coil pickups and an Ibanez GSA with two single coils and one humbucker. I mostly play punk music, NOFX, Blink 182, Pennywise, Lagwagon, and for rock AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. It has a really good Overdrive setting, so for those stlyes of music, it's a really good buy. If you are into slower, cleaner music, not such a great buy. There's always some kind of a fuzz sound on the clean setting. It really doesn't have a whole lot of feedback, so it's nice to use. For palm muting and things like artificial harmonics and other things like that it sounds really nice. It's not to loud, so something to use while the wife is asleep. The overdrive is pretty cool, for pop-punk music like Blink 182 and Greenday, but not so much for metal if you're into Metallica.

As I've said this amp is a great match for fast punk/rock music. Maybe you should look at a different amp for slower, cleaner music. I've been playing for four years and this has been one of my best buys. I own the Standard Stratocaster, a Standard Persicion Bass, and Ibanez GSA, a Traynor amp (from when I first started) and I like to use HOG cables. I also own a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal and use 60mm. tortex picks. With this equipment together, it is a great buy. If it was stolen I'd definatley buy it again. My favourite part about it is the overdrive. The only thing I wish it could have were some features such as flang, or tremolo, but I guess you can only fit so much on such a small amp!

Well, I've never used it in a gig, but I probably wouldn't bring a backup. If you're a rocker and tend to jump around on stage, this might not be an amp for you, because it has a bad tendancy to fall off when jumping. I've never had to get it fixed, and it's fallen of my back onto the cement in my garage quite a few times, it's a pretty tough piece of technology.

This is the MS-2 Marshall Micro Amplifier. This amp was made in Korea and is 9-Volt Battery Powered. It has a very useful overdrive setting.It really suits the fast, electric music I like to play. There is volume, tone and an off-clean-over Drive knobs. No special features other than the overdrive. There is one input and one headphone jack. I mostly use this to jam with my guitar and bass buddies, if you want to use drums I suggest using a larger amp.